General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hit a deer - would you buy it ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hit a deer - would you buy it ?

It seems to me that you are being as cautious as you can be. You're on the right track IF you're willing to buy a car that's been in an accident. Keep your eyes out for other, possibly better deals, just in case.

Definately pour over that insurance report. That could be key in your decision on this car. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I'm glad that you didn't jump into it like I did when I bought my car. I wish I did more research on it before I bought it, but I am lucky that it had no problems. I didn't start doing research until after I purchased it[:@]. I look at it this way, every car has its minor bumps here and there as nobody is the perfect driver, and just because it has had work does not mean the car is automatically considered junk. Evensmall cosmetic problems can add up... so the cost to repair hitting a deer being that amount doesnt sound crazy. Plus hondas are typically expensive when it comes to body repair anyway. Just keep us updated.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

1 other thing i guess id think about, how long are you planning on keeping this vehicle??? because if ur an honest person and declare that it has been in an accident or they look up the carfax.... you gotta explain everything we just went over in this whole write-up.... really hurts the resale... i mean look how many people in this forum along, wanted to stay away from this vehicle. just a thought, but good luck if you decide to buy, i know your pain , the 03-07 accord is a gorgeous car, and if i had the cash, id be driving that over my civic.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM

I plan on keeping it for 5 years, hopefully more... it will be babied and loved, and try to take it as far as we can. I am not the type to buy a new car and flip it every few years... waste of money in my opinion... I think the best value in buying cars is to find something you like and keep it as long as you can (as evidenced by my 1989 Jetta Flair )

I stopped by the body shop at lunch.. they couldnt tell me anything specific (privacy issues) but did say that it would not be back on the road if not ok, and that it would have had lifetime warranty for the person who had it before. They also said that once I get the quote from the insurer, that would be enough for them to look the file up and provide me with some more insight. So hopefully within 24 hours all of these questions have been answered.

And in the mean time, I am having a 96 BMW 318is looked at by my mechanic... if the wife gets something nice so should I right

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

Your on the right track, and everything seems to sound good, so i think you found a really good deal. And yes always try to negotiate a lower price

Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM

Good job doing your research on the cars...you can never be too careful. The only way you would of definitaly have known if the frame was bent was to ask the deer itself but 1st i dont think its alive still and 2nd i dont they speak any type of language...lol....i know its corny but i tried

Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM

So I bought the Accord.... sorry I thought I was gonna be a Civic guy, but the room for family of the Accord was too good to pass up.

I got the receipt for the $7,000 animal collision and basically it came down to nothing mentionable (just replace bumper, replace hood etc etc) except for 3.5 hours fixing the frame in the front end. The body shop guy told me 3.5 hours is nothing, and that cars with real damage will spend 8 hours or more for frame correction. And it was aligned etc. He told me the car is fine.

I also took the car to my mechanic, and they literally could not find one thing wrong (and they are **** for their inspections)... they told me to buy the car. I am in love with the car... it is so sweet. I got it up to 160 km/h and still smooth as heck.

2003 Accord LX
73,000 kms
Side Air Bags
5spd manual
2.4L
$15,150 CDN + Tax

Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] Awesome enjoy it!!! Hope your family puts it to good use and uses it in good health. Hey, this whole situation made for a fairly interesting thread... all over a car a deer busted up!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM

before anyone on here buys a previously bent car again check this out. this is the second most highly rated car programme in england and have a very good history of safety guidelines. the also done a section on an suv hitting a smaller car. intresting for civic owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWElUT17PI

Old 05-10-2007, 03:47 PM

^ sh*t link didn work

just type in the following to youtube. sorry all

fifth gear crash test repaired vs good

Quick Reply: Hit a deer - would you buy it ?