General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Holy moly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Default Holy moly

My drivers side CV axle broke on my way home from work on my civ... I had literally just gotten off the highway I completely lost control and no brakes... almost hit two trucks and a fence but ended up in this ladies driveway with no damage besides the car.... maybe I should count my blessings LOL

cost of CV axle? and labor?

Last edited by jelloman; 07-11-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Angry Admin

80 for axle 200 labor i think or something like that

Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

i got both my axles replaced for $230

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

might as well get the ball joints/tie rods replaced while doing cv replacement.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Angry Admin

Originally Posted by hamorhead
i got both my axles replaced for $230
oh yeah forgot i got both of mine done at that time for that

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM
August 2010 ROTM

Just change it yourself... It's not hard, and you save yourself so much money...

Take wheel off, take axle nut off (the axle nut should be bent on, take a flat-head and bend it out before you attempt to remove it,) remove the bolt that holds the strut into the lower arm, take nut off of lower ball joint, then pop the ball joint out of the arm. (You probably will need a ball joint popper tool, costs like 10$ max) After that's done, you'll be able to swing the hub away from the outer part of the axle. Once this is swung away, you should be able to take the whole axle out... On mine, it was stuck in there pretty good, few decent swings from a hammer got it right out. Now just do the opposite of removal, but make sure when your done putting the axle nut on, get a flat head screwdriver, and put a dent in the axle nut, so it won't spin itself off. When you put the ball joint back on, you can use a jack on the lower suspension arm so it puts the weight of the car on the ball joint, popping it back in... Matter fact, you might as well buy a new ball joint when you have it apart, they aren't expensive. All together it's maybe an hour or so worth of work on each side...

I got my axles from Auto-Zone for the lifetime warranty, just save your receipt. Every year or so my axle boots tear, and I just take the axles out and go get brand new ones for free.

EDIT: From now on, make sure you keep an eye on them, especially now that your boosted. If you notice either of the axle boots are ripped and spitting grease, it won't be too much longer till your axle starts clicking and eventually gives out...

Last edited by jwmm04; 07-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Brakes will not fail just because an axle broke. A Civic with a broken axle would not be able to go under its own power, but it could still stop normally. After an incident like that, there is likely other damage from parts flying around.

Like the others said, if all it needed is a new axle, that's rather simple and inexpensive.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito you should have still had brakes.... remember you also have a Ebrake handle

but you say autozone axles will replace them even if the boot just breaks? ill have to remember that

did the axle just break or has it been clicken for awhile?
J/W because i usually hear people say its been clicking bad for awhile when they turn or hit the gas.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

has anybody bought cv axles for a 92-95 civic from autozone?
ill send ya some money via paypal for warranty info so i can get mine replaced.
all i need is first and last name and phone number of the account.

yes im cheap.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
has anybody bought cv axles for a 92-95 civic from autozone?
ill send ya some money via paypal for warranty info so i can get mine replaced.
all i need is first and last name and phone number of the account.

yes im cheap.
It's a lifetime warranty. With lifetime warranties, there should be no need for an account or any information because they don't need to know when it was purchased or anything. Just take the axle in and get it replaced.

Quick Reply: Holy moly