General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hondas and transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Default RE: Hondas and transmission?

ORIGINAL: Sleepin95CivicDX

my honda's at about 162k miles now, and ive never had any problem with it. the timing is off a little bit i think, but not an issue with the tranny. yay for honda
Out of curiocity, this is slightly off topic but at least related, has the car had any clutch work done?

Just wonderin'

Steve R.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:59 PM

I think its not the older car that have problems but the newer one. Check out this site that I found

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl127e.htm

Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

i no a guy who builds project cars at a shop and he used to have a honda and i asked him the same question when i was getting my honda, and he sead you could miss shifts all day and be good...but its not the same with every honda, sometimes you can get a lemon

Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

i no a guy who builds project cars at a shop and he used to have a honda and i asked him the same question when i was getting my honda, and he sead you could miss shifts all day and be good...but its not the same with every honda, sometimes you can get a lemon
Yeah I think you're right. However, I think it will be hard to determine if your car will be affected or not.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

the synro's in 3rd and 4th gears tend to go out later in life(150,000+ miles)

Unless youre like me and buy a used car from someone who beat the **** out of it. Then your syncros go bad at a ripe 75,000 miles

Old 08-01-2006, 12:22 AM

Well I have a 98 DX hatch with auto trans that ran into some trouble around 150k miles... she would not always shift eaily into 4th from 3rd. I continued driving her, it got a little worse, now the car doesn't on hot days get moving without revving the engine, so I manually shift into low just to get moving, then shift her back to D4 then she's good to go. Been doing that for more than a year now. I did have linear solenoid replaced and it seemed to solve it for awhile but it went back to the same thing. She's now at 163k and I think I've surprised everyone by continuing to drive her. I think it may be a clutch issue though, she rolls back on hills after I take my foot off the brake. Wondering how much longer I can go without getting whole trans replaced which I don't wanna do. At that point might just spring for a newer Civic. Other than this issue though, I've had her for 8.5 years with zero problems.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 AM

i have an 88 crx, it has 174K+ miles on it, no tranny probs.(knock on wood) and it has not had any clutch work done to it, it will when i get a job tho, just to be safe!!!(i might throw a nice 6 puck in there, after i build the motor up a bit!!!)

Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 AM
gwl
HCF Member

There are issues with auto trans that were used with V6's. Acura TL's and Accords that were built in the late 90's had some higher than normal failure rates that is why Honda extended their warranty to 6 years and 150,000 miles.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ixion75

Well I have a 98 DX hatch with auto trans that ran into some trouble around 150k miles... she would not always shift eaily into 4th from 3rd. I continued driving her, it got a little worse, now the car doesn't on hot days get moving without revving the engine, so I manually shift into low just to get moving, then shift her back to D4 then she's good to go. Been doing that for more than a year now. I did have linear solenoid replaced and it seemed to solve it for awhile but it went back to the same thing. She's now at 163k and I think I've surprised everyone by continuing to drive her. I think it may be a clutch issue though, she rolls back on hills after I take my foot off the brake. Wondering how much longer I can go without getting whole trans replaced which I don't wanna do. At that point might just spring for a newer Civic. Other than this issue though, I've had her for 8.5 years with zero problems.
have you had the tranny fluid replaced? what could of happened is when they drained it most of the friction plate material came off with the fluid change and so you only have a little bit of friction material left to get the car moving but it will let it roll backwards from a dead stop because it cant grab fully