General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hood Tilt

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hood Tilt

ORIGINAL: Forty04

At what point did I say that the "air blowing in through the vents" got cooler? [&:]
I've talked to a number of guys running high boost apps that had issues with the heat getting into the cabin, and making it unbearable hot. Lifting the hood helped A LOT in those cases.
At least I understood it this way... What other ways of heat transfer are possible? Through the firewall? I believe it has good insulation....

Old 11-20-2006, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Misha

Through the firewall?
That is what i understood it as, and that was what my drawing represented.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

Through the firewall?
There are no holes in the firewall intended for air passage, as far as I'm aware

Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Ok, so let me be the first to say, that I am not the authority on this topic

All I've said is that in the case I'm familiar with, tilting the hood significantly dropped cabin temperatures. You can argue the physics of it until you're blue in the face, it doesn't mean that it didn't work.

Why the **** would I make something like that up? I'm don't get THAT bored at work

Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

Through the firewall?
There are no holes in the firewall intended for air passage, as far as I'm aware
nope there arent any hols for air flow, but there is the normal holes for running wires. also what i was referring to would be winilar if you turned a burner on a stove, placed a pot on top then put the cover on the pot, eventually the cover will get warm too... even though it isn't in direct contac with the burner.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

Ok, so let me be the first to say, that I am not the authority on this topic

All I've said is that in the case I'm familiar with, tilting the hood significantly dropped cabin temperatures. You can argue the physics of it until you're blue in the face, it doesn't mean that it didn't work.

Why the **** would I make something like that up? I'm don't get THAT bored at work
Tony, I'm not arguing it, i'm trying to understand how this could work

Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

nope there arent any hols for air flow, but there is the normal holes for running wires. also what i was referring to would be winilar if you turned a burner on a stove, placed a pot on top then put the cover on the pot, eventually the cover will get warm too... even though it isn't in direct contac with the burner.
Holes for wires should be sealed anyway. And the thing with oven is called heat transfer, I believe. And right, this is the only way I see for heating the cabin, other than blowing hot air. I just don't think there is that much heat coming through insulation, comparing to the heat coming with hot air in case of tilted hood...

Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

alright i just thought that the pot thing was dumb... not a good example at all. but you got he point, heat trasnfer is what i was referring to.

A better example would be if you have a room in your basement, that is next to the furnice room when the furnice is constantly running the room next to it will be constantly warm. even if there are no vents leading to that room... there that is better

Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

alright i just thought that the pot thing was dumb... not a good example at all. but you got he point, heat trasnfer is what i was referring to.

A better example would be if you have a room in your basement, that is next to the furnice room when the furnice is constantly running the room next to it will be constantly warm. even if there are no vents leading to that room... there that is better
No, I think the pot example was just fine, as good as anything else to illustrate the point
With your furnace example, what we essentially doing with the hood tilt, is routing one more duct directly from furnace room into the basement room. And attaching a fan to the duct. That is what puzzles me here[&:]

Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

well with the hood tilt it would be more like making a window in the furnice room to allow the hot air out of the room

Quick Reply: Hood Tilt