General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How can I improve my civic performance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
HCF Member
Default How can I improve my civic performance.

Hey guys Im trying to come up with cost effective ways to improve the performance of my 5 speed 97 Civic Ex Sedan. I currently have a AEM SRI, Megan 4-2-1 header, & Apexi W2 exhaust. I have a bad *** mechanic who is very good with cars, I am wanting to know performance parts or mods I can add or do to my car that is going to give me anywhere from 10-50morehp if possible without breaking the bank. I dont want to do a swap or turbo. Any and all ideas are welcome, just remember we are going through hard times right now so money is definately an issue but I will spendif it gives the performance & acceleration Im looking for.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How can I improve my civic performance.

Haha, why don't you check with your "bad *** mechanic"

Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

10-50hp? That's a big range, isn't it?[8D]

anyway, as far as engine performance, you could get a bigger cam (with a stage II or higher cam, you'll want to upgrade the rest of the valvetrain... a cam, valves, valve springs, and retainers will usually set you back right around a grand), intake manifold, and bigger throttle body. Honestly, don't quote me on gains, but I believe most stage II cams are good for 10-15hp... I have no clue on the intake mani/throttle body, but all I can say is the gains will be decent with an aggressive cam. Also, you need to remember to get the engine tuned after getting a bigger cam... you're probably want to do an obd1 conversion, and get yourself a p28 ecu (from the d16z6), which can be chipped and tuned.

Also, ditching excess weight will help you accelerate faster (but a lot of lost weight will yeild only slightly better acceleration)... lightweight wheels would probably help a good bit.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: rags2richs

Hey guys Im trying to come up with cost effective ways to improve the performance of my 5 speed 97 Civic Ex Sedan. I currently have a AEM SRI, Megan 4-2-1 header, & Apexi W2 exhaust. I have a bad *** mechanic who is very good with cars, I am wanting to know performance parts or mods I can add or do to my car that is going to give me anywhere from 10-50morehp if possible without breaking the bank. I dont want to do a swap or turbo. Any and all ideas are welcome, just remember we are going through hard times right now so money is definately an issue but I will spendif it gives the performance & acceleration Im looking for.
Nitrous, supercharger, high-volume injectors/rail/pump, clutch, tires, lightweight rims, LSD, flow-thru cat, cam, port, polish, balance, blueprint, short-shifter, and shed some serious weight.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

I would get an edlebroc performer X intake manifold and a wet nitrous kit. This will be the cheapest way to get 50 real ponies.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:27 PM

That's funny, I have the same setup. AEM SRI, Megan Header, Apex-i WS2.

Anyway. My vote goes for nitrous also. It's definitely the cheapest way to get 50hp.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 AM
HCF Member

for increasing engine response wouldn't be interesting to decrease the rotational inertia? like changing the pulleys and flywheel to lighter ones?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

nitrous on stock civic internals? Aren't the internals weak and have a high compression ratio?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by c0V3Ro
for increasing engine response wouldn't be interesting to decrease the rotational inertia? like changing the pulleys and flywheel to lighter ones?
On a v8? yes. On an inline 4? Yes and no. You'll see slight gains, but nothing you'll feel when driving (I'm talking a N/A engine here... I'm sure you'll see better gains on boosted and sprayed cars).

Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by rags2richs
I currently have a AEM SRI, Megan 4-2-1 header, & Apexi W2 exhaust.
Originally Posted by trustdestruction
That's funny, I have the same setup. AEM SRI, Megan Header, Apex-i WS2.

dont mean to thread jack, but you guys notice a big difference with this set up over a stock set up?
right now Ive got nothing and Im wondering if it's worth spending the cash to get something like you guys.....
this question goes especially to 'rags2richs' since he's got the D1Y68 and 5 speed like me.
Ive heard that there's not much you can do with a SOHC
TIA

Quick Reply: How can I improve my civic performance.