General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how much do you pay to fill up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: how much do you pay to fill up?

$20 in NC for 2.89/gal which lasts for 2 weeks.....my house is right inbetween work and school...15min each way and i go to work everyday...my cars really good on gas

Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

If I go to a known gas station it's about 3.55, so I think i beat you on the high price range..
I got all you beat in the states with $3.69 a gallon for regular here in Humboldt County. And it gets better! When I visit my sister next week in the heart of San Francisco, I have $3.79 a gallon to look forward to.

As for the national gas out day, I don't think it's really going to work. While assuming everyone isn't going to buy gas for ONE day, what will this accomplish? If prices do drop as dramatically as 30 cents overnight, which I have no recollection of ever occurring in the late 90s, prices will begin to swell back up in the following days as the unprecedentedsurging demand comes back. Now, if some how some way we could all not buy gas for one month, that might make a long lasting difference, but that would entail a complete economic and infrastructure overhaul and darest I say it, people driving less. For now, I'm going to enjoy the European trend and the fact that I have a Civic. Goodbye Detroit.
Every day, the gas companies have to assess their gas prices. If for some reason, the day before was a "low sale" day, the next day they lower gas prices enough to make people think "oh ****...it's cheap today, better fill up now". Gradually this process of lowering follows the trends of economic inflation that this country loves so much, and we end up with excessively high gas prices. Fluctuations in sales dictate the assessment of supply and demand. Thus, if a million people choose not to fill up on one day when they normally would, the gas companies take a hit to the tune of 1,000,000 people * a conservative average of $30 per sale (accounting for the $5-a-sale people to the $70-a-sale people inclusively in that average). That's thirty million dollars in lost sale. That's a lot, even for the gas companies. You've effectively ****ed their supply-demand ratio. They have too much supply and very little demand (even if it's only one day, think of how much gas is sold in one day in the US and how much that's worth...).

Now, if that population is inceased (say to 6 million people or even a billion), and we take into account the fact that the $30 per sale average is conservative, you can see that "sales-lost" number rocket to insane highs that would stagger even Bill Gates.

This was done some years ago, and gas prices plummeted an average of $.50 in almost every state.

*EDIT: ^overnight.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

here in So. Calif. I just paid 3.39 and oh yea.......9/10.

When are going to get rid of that 9/10 of a cent crap?

Anyway I paid 32.00 for 9.4 gallons and still had about 5 squares on the gas guage left. Went 340 miles.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 AM

32 buxfor a tank of 91 in golden, CO

Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

This was done some years ago, and gas prices plummeted an average of $.50 in almost every state.
Everyone keeps citing this incident "some years ago", but I have no recollection of it occurring. Can you point me to a valid source reporting this? And by valid, I'm excluding the group that's developed this No Fill Day plan. I'm not trying to call you out, but it seems that this line is being dropped as a rallying cry for people to join the cause.
Secondly, don't get me wrong, I'm going to do my best not to fill up that day and we'll see what happens, but I really don't see how this makes sense. It's May, we're not even in the peak months of gas and oil demand. I don't see how this will make a difference if demand slips a little bit one day only to continue to surge for the following months.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

I'll look for a decent source. I'm really good at this kind of research...

While I look, think about how many gallons of gasoline are pumped in one day all across the United States. We have such an efficient means for supplying gas stations that it's hard to realize how much we actually move and consume every day. If there is a significant dent in that, and they have more product than they can handle having made ready to supply the expected amount to replace what is normally consumed, to deal with that, they HAVE to move more product. The means for this is lowering consumer cost.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

In South Jersey I am paying about 33 from close to empty, if i let it get that far. Usually I put gas in it every 2 days because the cost of gas keeps going up so i figure its better to pay a little extra everytime, than a whole lot extra if i let it go all the way to empty... since it obviously is not going to go down with summer around the corner.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

All I can find is people complaining about this and that. Nothing relevent momentarily.

I've got to move home from college today, so I don't have any more time to spend on it right now. Sorry.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

The only problem with the May 15 gas strike is the fact thatpeople will have tofill up on thebefore or after instead. You are simply giving them the same profit, just on a different day.Gas companiesbase on quarters and years usually even though the price of the barrel changes day by day. Gasoline is a commodity andit's price fluctuates constantly and for often unseen reasons. In fact, this strike has been done before andthere was no result.Instead, this idea actually has to potential to increase prices more, because if people don't buy gas May 15, but those however many tens ofmillionsbuy it over the next couple days will show a higher demand of the next couple of days. Higher demand over a period of time will call for an increase, no demand on a single day will not. If people really want a strike, shoe leather express is the only way that will happen because you need to show no demand over a period of about two weeks to really get gas to even dropabout 10cents from where it is now. But, we all have to go to work so this will not happen.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM

im gonna try to fill up a day before may 15....or a couple of days before that way the next day i can fill up again for cheap....

Quick Reply: how much do you pay to fill up?