General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much does it cost to put a new clutch in a 92 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Default How much does it cost to put a new clutch in a 92 civic?

Let me know if you have any experience or know the average rates.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How much does it cost to put a new clutch in a 92 civic?

You should call around and check the places in your area. Unless you know a guy or can do the work yourself unfortunately the labor cost will be high.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

probably with parts and labor your looking at 200-400...

this was a thread from a while back...had some discussion on the issue

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_490879/tm.htm

Mine was 160 with parts and labor....which is a hell of a deal....

just call people up..get a quote and hold them to that quote and you will be fine.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

I had one done in my Nissan 4x4, like 16 years ago, and it ran almost $600. I kept telling myself it was because of all the extra 4x4 stuff they had to pull out to get to the clutch.

Nope. I got hosed.

Learned how to do it myself and haven't paid a mechanic for anything in 13 years outside of a safety inspection.

Grab a Chiltons or Haynes manual and see how tough it is. Then check with your buddies and/or coworkers and see who they recommend as mechanics. Call around and get many quotes. Go with an average of the best price bounced against the most recommended mechanic.

Most important of all - DO NOT GO TO A TIRE STORE EXPECTING THEM TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR VEHICLE (CHEAPLY). Goodyear mechanics suck. Firestone mechanics as well. They're tire guys, and 'one size does not fit all.' Experience speaking here. I've had Goodyear screw up power steering and A/C on my Mustang in New Mexico, and another Goodyear shop drop my 4x4 off a floor jack repairing a tire (claiming my truck was improperly lifted after they installed the kit a few months earlier). Firestone's ripped off some of my friends, and messed up their cars. Avis Lube, Midas, and Jiffy Lube guys are out of their element beyond what they advertise that they specialize in, so be careful with them.

Stealerships are no better, typically. Especially if you're trying to save some money.

Sorry - I gotta lot to say about crappy mechanics I've experienced over the years. Again - so I learned to do it all myself.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB
Sorry - I gotta lot to say about crappy mechanics I've experienced over the years. Again - so I learned to do it all myself.
I am with him. I learn to do most of work myself not because I want to save money, I Just dont trust them.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ugh3012

ORIGINAL: Type RB
I am with him. I learn to do most of work myself not because I want to save money, I Just dont trust them.
Agree unless you know a mechanic very well....Back to the clutch thing. Call around because it varies depending where you live and what city you are in

Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 PM

dude- call around. im having to replace the clutch in my jetta and my quotes are at least 300 bucks apart with the lowest at 626 and hightest at 960.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

Well... it IS a Jetta. You can almost double the cost of the 'usual' labor rates (some parts, too) for V-Dubs.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 AM

yeah, im finding that out now....it blows...

Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

Yeah - but Jettas are pretty swanky rides, Man.

Quick Reply: How much does it cost to put a new clutch in a 92 civic?