General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
HCF Member
Default How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?

So I after posting on here i decided I definteley want to get a tune up I called a local shop and they said that it would be about $650 thats seems like alot to me how much should it cost? I know this should be another thread but I have another question the previous owner swapped in a b16 into my 93 ex he said after he swapped it the check engine lights has stayed on. When I talked to the guy at the shop he said they won't tune it until the engine light is off. Do you guys have any ideas of where to start to get it to turn off becasue I don't have the slightest idea. By the way if any one knows of any good shops in northwest ohio could you tell me cause I don't know of any since all the other cars I have were older and I could do everything on my own.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

Do you know what the code is? $650 does seem a little high. Is it boosted?

p.s I'm going to drive stu's sol cuz it's warmer in Florida than it is in Ohio! haha

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

pull the CEL code and post it here to get started. is there a reason you want to tune your car? boosted?

btw. stu is trustdestruction and he drive a del sol.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

the code is 16, the previous owner put in gsr cams and and a skunk intake manifold, he told me and I have been told by others that it should be tuned. If you guys don't think it does thats cool but on my previous post about it the only replies I got said it would be a good idea. By the way I think the idle might be fine cause i watched it today for about fifteen minutes it started at 2k then went down to 1.5k in a few seconds and after ten minutes it was down to 1k although it never got below 1k in 15min. but I think that might be just cause its so cold right now.

BTW I kinda already figured out who stu was I just couldn't think of any other signature ha i wish I could go to florida right now

Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

the code is 16...

Name:  picture_1893.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  picture_1894.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  picture_1895.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  47.4 KB

Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
the code is 16, the previous owner put in gsr cams and and a skunk intake manifold, he told me and I have been told by others that it should be tuned. BTW I kinda already figured out who stu was I just couldn't think of any other signature ha i wish I could go to florida right now
Code 16 is a fuel injector. It would prolly be a good Idea to have it tuned. What ECU are you running? Does it have a chip?

edit: ah Ron beat me to it. haha

Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

thanks, yeah i just looked that up myself, man that was a quick reply I am about to go through those tests. Thanks for posting those pages it made it way easier to find in the manual, that thing is so long, in a good way of course! This makes sense because it wouldn't start a week ago and i took out the plugs and they were completely fouled it looked like it was from running too rich, also the exhaust looks like it is running really rich as well,

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

So I tested the injectors and i am not getting any resistance between the prongs on the injectors, the manual said 10-13 ohms does this mean they are bad ? i looked up the barcode number for the ecu and it looks like it is the stock ecu for a 93-95 civic, im not sure if it has a chip, how can i check that

Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Unless your multimeter has auto-ranging capability, you must select the proper Ohm range/scale to make the measurements. What scale did you use? If you touch the ends of the red and black probes of the multimeter together, the Ohm measurement should be approximately zero. Is this what happens? Are the batteries in the multimeter fresh?

Last edited by RonJ; 01-21-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

A b16 running on a stock ECU for a 93-95 civic? That seems weird.

Quick Reply: How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?