General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

HP increase/ Power Performance-what should I look at?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Talking HP increase/ Power Performance-what should I look at?

hey so I'm new on here but I have about 500$ or so I am thinking about spending on trying to increase my Civic's speed or HP and engine performance. My dad suggested a Performance chip, but I didn't really know if that was such a good idea. I have a question also on what type of Blow off valve makes that sound, when ever you shift because I am trying to get one of those or is that the turbo blow off valve. If its the turbo I don't have a turbo. Running on a 99 Dx 1.6L 1560 stock engine except for my Belt wheels are aftermarket for like my alternator belt and I have a AEM Cold Air Intake. I also have a Full Cat Back Exhaust system. Any tips on what I can do with my 500 bucks or should I just drop a Multi color LED under body kit into it. lol

Thanks the help is greatly appreciated! Just graduated Last night form High School, So I am completely stoked! haha

Old 05-30-2009, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

Ok, blow off valves will only make that sound your looking for on a turbo application. Second the sound you probably like the most is one from a hks ssqv. www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxQAr3cMi8 just and fyi incase you ever deside to turbo your car. Third, you could get a dc header which would pretty much eat up all your grad money. Forth you could start working on your suspension. The intake/header/exhaust combo will not yield you any more than 5-7hp if your lucky. Don't believe what it says in the manual. If I were you I would either get some coilovers or get a nice shock + strut combo.

If you need some suggestions on suspension setups, just ask! I will be graduation HS tomorrow also so the goal is to get over 1k from friends and family lol. This will fund my turbo project/paint job/wheels. Good luck, also buying things used will save you a lot of money!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by croninc
Ok, blow off valves will only make that sound your looking for on a turbo application. Second the sound you probably like the most is one from a hks ssqv. www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxQAr3cMi8 just and fyi incase you ever deside to turbo your car. Third, you could get a dc header which would pretty much eat up all your grad money. Forth you could start working on your suspension. The intake/header/exhaust combo will not yield you any more than 5-7hp if your lucky. Don't believe what it says in the manual. If I were you I would either get some coilovers or get a nice shock + strut combo.

If you need some suggestions on suspension setups, just ask! I will be graduation HS tomorrow also so the goal is to get over 1k from friends and family lol. This will fund my turbo project/paint job/wheels. Good luck, also buying things used will save you a lot of money!!!
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...y_headers.html

Could also help a tad by getting a high flow cat and a new intake manifold will probably net you the most HP out of all those mods.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Cron-Ok I just posted pictures of my car like two seconds ago But thats actually quite helpful information and Congrats on Graduation lol. I know how ya feel it is so awesome to be done and gl with getting the money u need.

Inthezone---- Ty I will look into that because my system I have now is not to old really mybe 3 yrs.

Be back in a little im check out ya'lls vids

Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by RP Sinisterx
hey so I'm new on here but I have about 500$ or so I am thinking about spending on trying to increase my Civic's speed or HP and engine performance. My dad suggested a Performance chip, but I didn't really know if that was such a good idea. I have a question also on what type of Blow off valve makes that sound, when ever you shift because I am trying to get one of those or is that the turbo blow off valve. If its the turbo I don't have a turbo. Running on a 99 Dx 1.6L 1560 stock engine except for my Belt wheels are aftermarket for like my alternator belt and I have a AEM Cold Air Intake. I also have a Full Cat Back Exhaust system. Any tips on what I can do with my 500 bucks or should I just drop a Multi color LED under body kit into it. lol

Thanks the help is greatly appreciated! Just graduated Last night form High School, So I am completely stoked! haha
No to the performance chip. You really cannot chip OBD2 ECUs. You can't just throw a BOV on there, it would be pointless. Turbo kits run about $2000 (unless you pieced one together, you may be able to get away with $1000 for a just okay one, but not really reliable), then you need a tune ($$$). What kind of cat back system do you have? Hell-to-the-no about the LEDs. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $10 on lighting in the car. But if that's what your into, then have fun!

If I have $500 and wanted to buy something for my car right at this moment, I would look into getting a header. However, since you drive a 96-00 DX, your cat. converter is built into your stock header. You would have to do the 96-00 DX/LX/CX/HX to EX conversion.
(https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=73237) You will have to buy the header, cat., and o2 wire extender. You looking at about $500 right there.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM

O wow I haddn't realized it was built into my stock header. I'm not really to knowledgable but im learning everyday My Cat Back System is Tanabe, I believe is the company it was made buy I honestly Bought the car used with the parts and had them put on. So I have not done to much of the work personally I have taken it to shops. I looked at the parts from the Forum Link about the Conversion and the only Question I was thinking about was will the Magnaflow work with a Tanabe system?

Last edited by RP Sinisterx; 05-30-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Yes, you should have any problems regarding if the pieces will bolt up together or not. Just remember, if you plan on doing this work yourself, the hardest part will be removing the stock pieces.

Many people here (including me) will try and guide you through the process if you want to do it yourself. You will save alot of money that way!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 PM
HCF Member

I personally love the look of carbon fiber hoods and it'd go good w/ your wheels... And if you drive the car for 4.8 million miles you'll pay off the hood with the saved gas money... http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...r00026216.html
Also, ditch the subwoofer from the trunk and you'll gain WAY more in performance than adding headers....
If you do get headers, see if you can get polished stainless steel ones.. I have put in 3 sets of headers including DC ceramic ones and the stainless ones stay pretty WAY longer.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by rcherr642z
Also, ditch the subwoofer from the trunk and you'll gain WAY more in performance than adding headers....
LOL.... You will gain no additional performance that wasn't already there if you take the sub out. You will only lighten the car. You can restore the "performance", but not make additional this way.

A header will gain additional performance. If the OP wanted the sub out, I hope he would know it takes only 2 minutes to remove it.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Lol yeah....I know it is less weight but im not looking for this thing to be a beast in drag or something crazy lol. I love my subs. And yeah I'm still debating on whether to actually attempt the Header conversion or just save up for my Motocycle. But thanks for the advice Has anyone looked at my baby? I call it calypso Let me know what you think, I mean ii bought it used but I got most teh stuff on it. Not to bad for a first car?

So yah thnx again Cv I am def looking at the header conversion but no decisions yet.

Quick Reply: HP increase/ Power Performance-what should I look at?