General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

hybrid questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Default hybrid questions

So who has one and do you like it? Anything you do not like about it compared to a standard vehicle?
Also, do the dealerships "deal" on these cars, or is sticker-price what they tend to get given the very limited supply?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: hybrid questions

The pros of a hybrid should be pretty obvious. Some of the cons are that the batteries in a hybrid are good for about 10 years, then you have to have them replaced which is not at all chap. Also, hybrids cost something like 4-5k more than the non-hybrid version. I'm not sure how many non-dealer mechanics can fix hybrid engines but i would think that there aren't too many.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

The amount of time to make back the money for buying a hybrid is something like 8-10 years depending on your driving style and the amount you drive. so in the end it isn't worth it to buy one, cause even with a non hybrid you spend that extra money on gas

Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

I personally don't see hybrids as paying off. However, if gas does begin to skyrocket they might pay off in the end. One other thing is that alternative fuels are on the horizon such as the hydrogen fuel cell. I think some places in Europe are already using the hydrogen fuel cell.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Id say a hybrid is worth it for those who do serious commuting to work..........BUT, theyre so expensive youre better off buying a honda civic HX and tuning it up, because they get serious gas milage, and dont cost 1/4 of a new hybrid.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:32 PM

eh, I don't think hybrids are worth it. Fuel savings are nowhere near as high as one would think. Honda Civic hybrid consumes 50MPG at 50/50 highway/street driving, while a regular gasoline coupe consumes 35 on average. These numbers are all from Honda, so in reality they wil vary, based on the driving style. Also, a diesel Civic in Europe gets a combined MPG of around 56. Factor in the price of a hybrid vehicle, and there's no sense in buying it. I'd rather get slightly lower MPG, but have a car the utilizes technology that has been proven over the years.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM

I appreciate the comments guys, but I was kinda hoping to hear from someone that has had one for awhile.

My wife drives about 100 miles a day. We keep cars 4ever but its getting time to replace her current daily driver. ...just wondering if a hybrid owner out there has some first hand input on how the car actually has performed for them - both good or bad.

When we heard they were going to make an Accord hybrid, it sounded great...however, they put a 6 cyl in them and that eliminates the advantage of the hybrid construction. Pretty dumb idea by Honda in my opinion. So now we are considering the 4 cyl Civic.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2006, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

I guess it's the wrong forum for such a question. I can't recall anyone with hybrid posting here...

Old 12-23-2006, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Pete

youre better off buying a honda civic HX and tuning it up, because they get serious gas milage, and dont cost 1/4 of a new hybrid.

i agree!
hx's get real good gas mileage. but theyre a little harder to find.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...QQcmdZViewItem

Buy that and a used tranny for 250$, you can even get it pro installed and youre spending under 2K on a car that will get 40 or so MPG

Quick Reply: hybrid questions