General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I just thought of this kill switch idea...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Default I just thought of this kill switch idea...

what if instead of one kill switch, you installed 3 or 4 all run in a series, but turned one or two of the switches around so the on position of the switch is opposite of the other switches. that way you'd have to have all the switches in their correct positions to start the car. it'd kinda be really helpful because normally if the thief finds the kill switch, they can drive off, but this way they gotta find it and then figure out the 'combination' for the switches to start the car. you might even catch the guy trying to steal it since he'll be spending much more time trying to figure it out.

the idea of the switches would kinda be similar to the switches on the circuit board of a garage door opener.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 AM
HCF Member

yeah except if you have an experienced thief. they bring a battery with them and bypass all your switches. a hidden fuel cut off switch is the better option. or install a detector that won't engage unless the matching receiver is within range, which you would have on your keychain

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
kma
HCF Member

"or install a detector that won't engage unless the matching receiver is within range, which you would have on your keychain"

What is this detector? Sounds interesting.....I'd like to look into that but haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

well it could be as extensive as something like this...

http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/0...stems_tech.pdf

or just take some of the components of this system and just require that a passive transponder be within 5 feet to engage the electronics that would allow the car to start.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

hmm maybe i should create a simple system that any one could install... and sell it haha, dont steal my ideas man, i'll come after you

Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

All ideas written on HCF are property of the HCF staff. Thank you and have a great day.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

i think not. well we will just have to see who patents it first haha

Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
what if instead of one kill switch, you installed 3 or 4 all run in a series, but turned one or two of the switches around so the on position of the switch is opposite of the other switches. that way you'd have to have all the switches in their correct positions to start the car. it'd kinda be really helpful because normally if the thief finds the kill switch, they can drive off, but this way they gotta find it and then figure out the 'combination' for the switches to start the car. you might even catch the guy trying to steal it since he'll be spending much more time trying to figure it out.

the idea of the switches would kinda be similar to the switches on the circuit board of a garage door opener.
there is no combination for switches in series. no matter what order you flip them on, there all on, in series.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Method
there is no combination for switches in series. no matter what order you flip them on, there all on, in series.
i think what he meant though was to install a box, with 3-4 switches, and instead of putting all three or four with "on" as "up"... you have maybe the first one swapped around so it has to actually be "down" to be "on", and then the third and fourth the same thing, where the only one that would appear to be "on" would be the second switch while in reality all of them are "on"... thats what i read it as.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Series wiring is the way to do it. All the switches would have to be in proper position to complete the circuit. If any of them is in the off position the car would not run. But if you put them all in a box a thief could easily hotwire around the whole box. They should be hidden in different places. Also have some that kill the fuel pump, some to kill the starter, some kill the ignition, some the ECU. Then if the thief is going to just bypass everything he'd have to do several circuits. Disabling the headlights would make it harder to drive away at night. Also killing some non-vital stuff like the brake lights would increase the chances of your stolen car getting pulled over. That's a time when you do want the cops to harass your car.

You can also remove small vital parts like the fuses, main relay, spark plug wires, etc. and take them with you to make the car harder to get started and drive away.

Quick Reply: I just thought of this kill switch idea...