General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Ideas about Motor options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Arrow Ideas about Motor options...

Ive been thinking... I have a few Ideas and would just like to get some opinions on em.

Option A) Get another d16y from Ebay, Junk yard, where ever, and rebuild it myself. Of course getting it bored saaay .030 over...or .020 ? Dunno what the max recommended spec on this block are. Putting some pretty nice forged internals, new pistons, rings, main and rod bearings...etc and getting a relatively inexpensive Turbo set up from my friend who owns/runs a DSM shop.

B) Doing some sort of Motor swap like a b18 (and maybe turbo it later??!)
of course doing the same sort of rebuild etc to it, to ensure Ive got something reliable.

C) Hmmm will a K series motor fit ?

Now I know with option B Im going to need a TON of $h!+ like swap mounts, wiring harnesses, new trans, ECM, likely an after market Vtec controller etc.

And option A would be the easiest I think, since everything will bolt right up, no fuss, no muss. The motor swap in this case could be done inside of a few hours, and have me driving her again later that day. Whats everyones experience with a forced induction d16 ? Worth doing? Should I also look for stronger axles ?

Well, just wanting some input from you guys/gals.... Let me know !~

Last edited by Ozone; 08-27-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM

A) I think you should get another D-series and build/turbo it.
It will cost less, be easier, and still produce desirable results. SOHC VTEC pride! lol

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-27-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

If you can afford a k swap do it

Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

I always like the Type R engine, but only if you don't plan to go turbo on it... that high compression isn't good for turbos.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

Well, like I said... Im trying to weigh my options....whether I want forced induction, or all motor... Looks like all motor might be the way to go, being that its a shirt-load less parts, and marginally simpler. I know I wont get the kind of power I would with a Bswap, or turbo, but (shrug) still figuring it out.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Turboing an engine would probably give you more easy ponies, but if you build the motor, at least you'll know the engine is strong. If you build the engine then you essentially will have a motor with 0 miles on it when it's all said and done.
Maybe build the motor, and then turbo it down the road... it's just a matter of which motor to pick.
Plus if you build it then turbo it, you won't have to worry about the engine blowing from upping the boost. You can get hella power out of it.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

You could easily find a b18 full swap (linkage, stock ecu, harness, trans, everything for around 3-3.5k for say another 1500 or so you could build it to be anvil proof. While building the internals you could decide if you want to run a lower compression for boosting later or run a high comp. to run all motor. I personally would boost it if I had the cash. I just love driving boosted cars. I love pulling by someone with a loud BOV and having them look over like "wtf was that?" There is just a certian mystique to a turboed car. :-) IDK i'm a turbo nerd tho. lol!

P,S New mounts are not that expensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

K FTW!, that is if you have at least 10k to spend on a swap...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 PM

i like the b series swap... if you want to boost it just run low comp pistons.... if you have the money spend the extra cash and get the type r not the gsr...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

option A

Quick Reply: Ideas about Motor options...