General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I'm looking at another civic! Need some tips...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Default I'm looking at another civic! Need some tips...

I am looking at buying a civic on ebay. It' s only got 67k miles on it. I need a carfax ran if possible.

2HGEJ6617YH510845

This car would be for my mother in law, and I don't want it breaking down and being my fault. Any help appreciated.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
HCF Member

can't really tell the condition of the car with just pics and carfax, they do help but the best way would be to check it out yourself

Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito... a carfax report is MOSTLY just for kicks... you can see if it has been in any wrecks and when and where it was hit. and then just see where the car has been most of its life.

other than that it will tell you very little if any maintance work at specific places. and cannt not tell you how hard the car has been driven or if the owner was involved in a hit and run and they just repaired the vehicle themselves without any cops or insurance being notified! so dont just trust a carfax report!!!!!!! inspect it yourself and judge yourself! start it up drive it around check the fluid levels or see if the oil is really dark. but most likely a person when selling would check all the fluids and replace the oil to cover up any hidden problems for a easier sell!

milage really doesnt say much.... since the cluster can be swaped out at any time with any other cluster! i could buy a cluster on ebay right now that says 40K miles on it and slap it only my 200K + mile vehicle and youd never know! and as long as i didnt have any wrecks during that time from the last title OD reading youd never know it and neither would carfax!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
dito... a carfax report is MOSTLY just for kicks... you can see if it has been in any wrecks and when and where it was hit. and then just see where the car has been most of its life.

other than that it will tell you very little if any maintance work at specific places. and cannt not tell you how hard the car has been driven or if the owner was involved in a hit and run and they just repaired the vehicle themselves without any cops or insurance being notified! so dont just trust a carfax report!!!!!!! inspect it yourself and judge yourself! start it up drive it around check the fluid levels or see if the oil is really dark. but most likely a person when selling would check all the fluids and replace the oil to cover up any hidden problems for a easier sell!

milage really doesnt say much.... since the cluster can be swaped out at any time with any other cluster! i could buy a cluster on ebay right now that says 40K miles on it and slap it only my 200K + mile vehicle and youd never know! and as long as i didnt have any wrecks during that time from the last title OD reading youd never know it and neither would carfax!
That's kind of true, but not if your title shows 200k, plus it's illegal. Any known issues with the 2000 models? I have a 94 that ran amazing with the 1.5 and am looking for another 300k civic. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I plugged the VIN into the Majestic Honda site. It shows the car has these specs:

Name:  picture_1518.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  18.5 KB

It will probably have a D16Y7 engine. It probably won't have power windows or power locks or a remote. Does it have A/C? I'd recommend that you look for this Civic with a manual transmission. Otherwise, it's a good choice because the 2000 Civic was the last 6th generation made so most of the bugs had already been worked out by this time.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
I plugged the VIN into the Majestic Honda site. It shows the car has these specs:

It will probably have a D16Y7 engine. It probably won't have power windows or power locks or a remote. Does it have A/C? I'd recommend that you look for this Civic with a manual transmission. Otherwise, it's a good choice because the 2000 Civic was the last 6th generation made so most of the bugs had already been worked out by this time.
I'd love it to be stick, but it's not for me. It's for my mother in law and she can't drive stick. Anyone know of any issues to look for? It does have power everything.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't know of any common major problems with the 2000 Civic. What's the current bid and what do you want to pay? Any known issues with the Civic in question?

Last edited by RonJ; 10-20-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
I don't know of any common major problems with the 2000 Civic. What's the current bid and what do you want to pay? Any known issues with the Civic in question?
It's got 67k on it and it's only $4500 buy it now. I think that's a good deal. Needs a paint on both bumpers.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the engine is fine (any CEL?), all the components work and none are missing, and the body is generally okay, then it sounds like a good deal.

I didn't think the DX normally has power anything, except power steering?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
HCF Member

4500??? right now there is some nmice civics on my local craigslist for that lol i wish i had saved longer and got an si damit

Quick Reply: I'm looking at another civic! Need some tips...