General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I'm Si/LX Civic shopping & have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Default I'm Si/LX Civic shopping & have a few questions

I'm new to the forum and just posted an intro post up in the New Member area. Currently in the market for a new car and it's coming down to the Civic and the Mazda 3. Did some test drives yesterday, have done a lot review reading and had some questions. Please feel free to let your comments rip -- I'd really appreciate hearing from the Civic owners here. Sorry in advance for the post length but want to give a good picture.

I've been driving a Lexus ES300 for many years but kids are starting to leave the nest and decided I would like something a little smaller, a bit more fuel efficient, stick shift, and a lot more fun to drive.

Over the last couple of weeks I've test driven a Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Scion xD, Civic, and the Mazda 3 (touring edition). Decided the hatchbacks just weren't for me. Yesterday I drove a few different Civics. Started with a new 2007 LX Coupe - very nice but I like the look and the functionality of the 4-door better. So, after driving the Civic LX 4-door 5-speed, I went up the road and drove a 2008 Mazda 3. That 2.3 liter engine is a blast. But the interior didn't fit me as nicely as the Civic, and the fit and finish just didn't seem to be as good as the Civic. But it sure was a hoot to drive! So that prompted me to go back to the Honda dealership and drive a Civic Si. Maybe that was a mistake After 10 miles on street and highway, the first thing that popped into my head was I'd want to move out in the country so I'd have a longer commute!

So, I'm torn between the Civic LX and the Civic Si. The frugal and practical side of me says go with the LX. It was a fantastic car - great ride, nice handling, very comfortable. But the middle aged kid in me says go with the Si! The seats are much more comfortable. It has a much sportier look and feel to it. Better stereo and a few more amenities than the LX. But the truth is, the LX meets my needs just fine.

The dealer is offering the 2008 LX to me for $17,095 and a 2007 Si for $20,590. I was hoping I'd have more bargaining power with the Si since they have three of them on the lot and it's now one model year old. The Hondas seem to hold their value well and I'm thinking that the extra $3500 for the Si would hold its value as well. And did I mention how FUN the Si is to drive?

So, some questions:
1. I've read many comments critical of Honda's reported MPG for the Civic. It seems many owners are getting nowhere near the mid to upper 30's Honda reports. How accurate is the MPG?
2. Any ideas on how much of an insurance premium increase there may be for the Si over the LX?
3. Are the prices quoted by the dealer fair? $500 off sticker for an '08 LX and $1000 off sticker for an '07 Si seem pretty slim. Should I have more wiggle room or is the demand such they can snub their nose at me?
4. There are also many complaints about the Civic's seats. I wasn't in them long enough to tell if they were a problem. The Si's seat was definitely more comfortable to me than the LX. Any complaints in this department?
5. Any other comments good or bad that are relevant to my search are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I'm Si/LX Civic shopping & have a few questions

- hello - purchased a used Si(2002) last October - hope my comments might help you -
1) I get 32mpg mixed city/highway driving and like to mash the pedal periodically, this is after adding a short ram intake(+2mpg)
2) insurance should not go up unless you only have liability on the Lexus, then depends on your driving record and where you live, not enough to factor in for me, (97Grand Am GT vs 02Si)
3)$20,950 seems like a really good price for the 07 Si
4) the Si seats are great 6 years down the road in my car
5) Honda resale is excellent, is it easier to get Mazda parts than a few years ago?
6) I love this car, it's fun to drive and I can really personalize the ride
7) I am 40ish( this might be my midlife crisis car and I'm having a blast!)

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

I got a 2004 EX... I didn't think that I would like it as much as I do. Best car that I have ever driven (although, I have only ever driven my moms outback and my dads pathfinder.).

I would say go for the SI. It seems like it would be a lot more fun. Plus, $20,590 seems like a really good deal to me... The cheapest that I could find around here starts at $21,750.

-Kelleykid

Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

go with the si ...trust me you'll have much more funn driving the si and plus its not a real big price diffrence between the 2........ SI is go lol

Old 09-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Yeah the SI will be worth it down the road....... go for it.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 PM

So one of the local dealers has agreed to come down to $20,199. That's about as good as I can hope for after talking to about 8 dealers in western New York. Also, I supplied Allstate with the Si's VIN and the annual premium for 300/100 coverage, collision, and a $500 deductible is $350. They said the Civics fantastic safety record translates into a low premium. The LX was a bit lower at $300/ year.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

like i said its not much of a diffrence so go for it ...plus all the ricers will envy you lol

Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM

i have an 06 civic lx, same as the 07. When the 06 was out they said it could get 41mpg highway. There is no way i get that but i would say mid 30's. I would rather have had the Si but $$$ was a little tight. I would only rather have the si b/c it can go faster. idk how you drive but if you like to go really fast get the si, but then again if you are worried about gas millage it gets less. I dont have a problem with my seat at all, i have driven 6 stright hours, back was a little tight but not to bad. So if you really like to speed get the SI. If you just want a fun car, good gas milage, and decent speed get the lx. Either way you cant really go wrong. Hope i helped. One more thing i would just go for an 06 a lot cheaper get one with like 10,000-15,000 still kinda new.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM

b/c you can get an 06 SI for cheaper then 07 Lx, i would do that. and hondas last a while so dont worry about milage.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

go with the si. so much more worth it.

Quick Reply: I'm Si/LX Civic shopping & have a few questions