General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Installing a remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Default Installing a remote starter

I want to install a remote starter in my Civic... it's a manual transmission so I would have to go with a specialized unit. Any suggestions out there? And... is it a difficult install? I would like to do it myself if possible. Thanks for any help you all can offer! ...Jeff

Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Installing a remote starter

You can do it, BUT you must bypass the clutch bypass................it can be done, but always remember.........DONT leave it in gear when u park it., N at all times.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

i have had an experience with a stick shift with remote start installing is quite easy especially when they come with instructions and a friend with eletrical experience. my cuz celica reversed into someones car because he left his car in reverse when he parked it and tryed to remote start it.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Well, that sucks. I suppose I would have to remind myself that I have to keep the car in neutral. I just need to find one that is specifically for a manual trans car -- seems like all the ones I find are automatic only.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

They dont make remote starts for autos and manuals........its universal..........u must bypass the clutch to install one.......so if u leave it in gear and try to auto start it, well its going to jump and stall out, over and over until the batt dies

Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Hmm, that's strange. I have seen some advertised that say "For fuel injected, automatic transmission cars only." Wouldn't that deceive people into thinking that it's actually for a fuel injected, automatic transmission car? I did find a company called Compustar that says their remote starters are for manual transmission cars. I wonder why they don't just say "Universal" on the box...

Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

No shops will install a remote start on a manual.........unless its an under the table shop.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Ahhh okay, I think I understand now. It's a legality issue... think of all the accidents that can happen. Ha ha. Well... now if I can find some installation instructions... and get the remote starter, I should be good to go. Thanks for your help Pete!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

There are starters that use sensor that tell the starter what gear the car is in, but they are pretty expensive. I wouldn't install the auto start b/c its too risky. What if you forget one day and your goes goes through the driveway and hits some kid on his bike.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

There are starters that use sensor that tell the starter what gear the car is in, but they are pretty expensive. I wouldn't install the auto start b/c its too risky. What if you forget one day and your goes goes through the driveway and hits some kid on his bike.

Well said, and a little soft for a guy (or girl) with the name like angent of darknes LOL

Quick Reply: Installing a remote starter