General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

To keep? Or not to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Default To keep? Or not to keep?

So here's how it works. See the Civic in my sig? It was my brother's car, and all stock and ratty until he left for college, then I fixed it up a little and bought some eye lids and replaced the head and tail lights. he came back, and declared it his car, but once he leaves in June I have free reign over the car whether I want to sell it or not. (However I may be able to do this as early as May).

It has Enkei Wave rims, which have plenty of curb damage (crazy person who owned it before us) and I am pretty sure it is a salvage. It's on it's third bumper (My brother got in two wrecks with it, not serious though) and the interior is fairly ratty, with cuts in both air bags where they have both been replaced or something that I don't even care to know. It's rides pretty rough, probably because of the 17" rims and profile tires.

Now if you've read through all that, the question is, should I ditch it and get a new Civic/whatever and trick it out? Or would it be more efficient to work on what I already have? I thought about restoring the rims by sanding them down and repainting them, but they are chrome, and it's difficult to restore them to what they should look like (maybe make them silver?). I definitely will never own a Civic without rims.

Sorry for the long post lol.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: To keep? Or not to keep?

Well, pepainted rims almost always chip right any, unless you never drive it. That looks like a 96-98, 6th gen which is a model I'm not the most fond of because of the look and engine. Then again I'm biased, but I really like 5th gens (92-95), 7th gens, and 8th gens. I would suggest cleaning up the car real good, put it back to stock, sell the aftermarket parts, sell the car, and buy a new one. If you have some stock wheels or steelies, I'd put them on. Oddly enough, that will increase the sale price, most of the time.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I might get a 5th gen, I've actually been thinking about it.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

it would be easy to fix your current car, and learn in the process, or you could sell and get a 5th gen, prolly with a few more miles though, and if you do get a 5th gen, get a hatchback, they always look better than the coupes or sedans (IMO)

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I actually lucked out with my EG. I absolutely hated cavaliers, neons, and civics but I got this one back in 03. I still hate cavaliers and neons but that because they suck. Since I got I found out that it's one of the most sought after gens of the Civic. I didn't know that it was the EX model or that it had the VTEC (D16Z6) engine until a year after buying it. Oh, so much has changed.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 AM
HCF Member

stick with it. Sixth gen is one of the best platforms.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

stick with it. Sixth gen is one of the best platforms.

YEAH BUDDY! I like it. You should get some new rims... those baller rims are nasty. What trim line is it?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah I didn't pick out these rims, they came with it. But hey, i'd rather have these rims than hubs. I'll take some pictures of the interior and show you what I'm talking about when i say it's ratty. You guys might have some good suggestions to fix it.

I would love to get a hatch, I actually need one really bad to haul my bass amp, but they are much harder to find.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

How many miles does it have? Even though the airbags have been deployed it doesn't look like by what I can tell it was in a serious wreck.

I would stick with what you got, get new seats or just seat covers, Jazz up the interior.

If you go about it right prime it, layers of paint, then clear coat, you could restore those rims. There is a DIY on here that shows you. I'm going to be doing that soon with my car.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:52 PM

question is ... do you like the car?

dont ask what other people think about it. as long as you like it is what matters.

Quick Reply: To keep? Or not to keep?