General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Leaking oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Leaking oil pan

i have a 93 civic. my oil pan is leaking about a half quart of oil every 2 weeks. the threading for my oil drain plug is shot so i had to use a universal plug which isn't doing the trick obviously. im planning on swapping the entire oil pan out. i have a couple questions before i start... how big of a project will this be? how much should i expect to spend? would it be cheaper to try to just re-threaded the hole?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

My oil pan was $110 and the gasket was $15. It's a fairly easy job. Pull the exhaust from the bottom of the manifold to the cat. 7 bolts total. Then the plate on the tranny over the fly wheel. 4 bolts.
Then undo the oil pan.

If you want to save money, order a Quick Oil Drain Valve
Not sure what size you would want since the hole is stripped out, but once it's in there, you never have to remove it.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

would the oil drian valve be able to screw into my oil pan since the threading is no good?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

I'd suggest looking around online for some used oilpans or maybe hit up the junk yard, much cheaper than buying a new one and should be just fine. Just make sure they aren't dented/cracked and the drain plug is ok.

To do the job isn't all that hard but a little time consuming. Drain the oil, remove the exhaust, unbolt the like 15 little bolts holding the pan up, then tap the pan a few times on each side with a soft faced mallet to knock it off. You'll then want a gasket scraper or razor or something sharp that will get the old gasket pieces off of the block and also the oil pan if you replace it with a used one. This can be a bit of a hassle but just be patient and make sure they are very smooth and clean. Put the new gasket with a little bit of oil on it(to ensure a good seal) and install it making sure it's snug all around. Then bolt it up and maybe put a little gasket sealant on some parts to ensure a leak-free pan.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mikeybson
would the oil drian valve be able to screw into my oil pan since the threading is no good?
You might have to buy a slightly larger size and tap your threads for the new size.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

very easy job to replace the oil pan. get a Haynes Manuel if you dont think you can do without it