General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Leaving for college, not taking the civic, gotta store it

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy Leaving for college, not taking the civic, gotta store it

Hey all, I got a few questions about storing a car. In a few days I am going all the way across the country (NY to CA) for college and will not be bringing my car for at least the first year. I was gonna let my younger brother use it but he's been slacking on gettin the license so it's gonna get stored in a friends garage. So what are the things I need to think about or do before I leave my civic in storage (the next time I will see it will be around Christmas when I come back, so it will be sitting for over a month at least)

Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

for only a month or two in a garage i wouldnt worry about it to much.....

for a few months just add some fuel stabilizer and pour it in the gas tank and maybe unhook a battery wire..... thats all i would do myself... wel along with switch the car insurance to storage if its really gonna be stored! if someone MIGHT drive it then keep regular insurance on it!
dont cheap out on no insurance you never know when a small garage fire could roast your baby!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

battery wire's a must, just keep it in dry storage where the largest critter is a cricket, you don't want to come home to find a Christmas present waiting in your ventilation.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Good point about the critters, if there are any mice around they will move in to either your A/C ducts or your intake box.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys. And god that would suck (I don't have an intake box anymore tho ), it's a indoor garage so there shouldn't be mice but it's a possibility I guess. Is there a way to temporarily block off outside entrances into the vents?

Anything else I should know or look out for?

Also I have heard opposite things about storing cars, some say you should be as close to empty (fuel wise) as you can before storing it, others say have a full tank when about to store it. Which is it?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont think it realy matters with the fuel level at least for short storage times. if its gonna sit for a year ya id have a low fuel tank that way if the gas would go bad it wouldnt be to much wasted of course. but worst ive ever had was some moisture geting into the gas and a can of HEET water remover fixed it with a simple can.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

well she is now in storage, battery disconnected, windows slightly cracced, kill switch armed, tank half full, and I leave tomorrow. I'm gonna miss not havin my car for three months I can tell you that. how do you even know if the gas goes bad? does it start knocking or anything when you drive it or just wont start?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya pretty much it just will run crappy.... just when you get back slap some octane boost and water remover into the gas tank and you should be fine...

Old 09-14-2008, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

i'm guessing those could be found at any local auto store when i get back...? and a sort of off topic yet related question: do accounts go inactive or get deleted on this forum?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya any auto place should have both. very common.

and your accounts fine. hell i still have accounts on other forums that i havent touched in over 4years now.LOL every year on my birthday i get happy birthday emails from those sites.LMFAO
i got grandam,fullsize truck, gmtruck, a few audio forums. and this site just to name a few.LOL

Quick Reply: Leaving for college, not taking the civic, gotta store it