General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Default LED Tail lights

I was wondering if anybody has any info on installing some LED tail lights. BTW the LED's are built in there are two wires that I have to hook up. But, I still have to use myoriginal brake light and my original signal light along with the wires that I have to hook up for the LED's.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: LED Tail lights

Alright, do you have any pics? Otherwise, how many bulbs do the new tails use and how many wires are for LEDs? Oh, and is this for a hatch or 2dr/4dr.

Cause some LED lights make you forefit/lose lights options. (reverse, signal, running, and brake(brighter than running.))

Old 04-19-2007, 07:53 PM

do you have a DMM? if you do its not too hard, one is positive and the other is ground. hook one up to your parking lights and the other to ground. You want them to turn on when you put your parking lights on right? its not hard to test for which wire is parking light..............first with a wire stripper , turn your parking lights on.......if you read twelve volts on the DMM and when you turn of parking lights and it goes to 0 then thats your wire.....................................trust me, i know cuz i install car alarms , neon lights, radios, etc....

Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
June 2010 ROTM

if you don't have a DMM, the ouch test works too. Turn the light on, if the wire hurts when you touch it, you have the right one!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 PM

by the way the parking light wire should bered with a black stripe....

Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

if you don't have a DMM, the ouch test works too. Turn the light on, if the wire hurts when you touch it, you have the right one!
god that's hilarious...the ouch test. last time I tried that it was in a house I was wiring and I blew myself across the room.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

that doesnt work with 12v.... now 110will give ya a nice blast! LOL

now a large amplifier holding each speaker wire in each hand while bumpen will give ya some crazy tingling.LMFAO

but when ya say LED do ya mean FULL led or just the LED HALO ring?
the halo ring should just be hooked up to the parking light wire...

BUT with ya saying that LEDs cannt be dimmed... your wrong...
simple 2 diodes and 2 resistors... higher resistor for parking lights dim seting... and proper resistor for the brightest brake light setting...
i had em on my truck... cheap to make and easy to do!
and if ya loose the flashers.... ya got 2 options... one a LED resitor box unit .... OR the easiest for most cars... is replace your 3prong flasher unit for a old school 2 prong unit again worked for my truck cause they where flashen super fast! used a old school flasher outta my 66impala and it worked perfect!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM

The factory wires going to the bulbs are being used, as there is a place for both the turn signal factory bulb/assembly and the brake light bulb/assembly, the LED has two wires, black and orange. I am not sure what Lights the LED's should be used as, right now I have everything, so I assume I just need to tie into Parking or brake light wires, but I am not sure thats why I am asking lol. The LED's are red and would look cool as part of the brake lights if thats possible, but I would settle for them coming on with my park lights.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM

Oh and its just a halo ring around the standard brake light

and also thanks for your help so far

Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya those halo ring suck anyways.... ya wont havea parking then brake light.....
just wire them up to the parking lights if ya want them on the parking lights... or wire them up to the brake light if ya want them to be lite up with the brake lights....

its realy your choice......

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights