General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking at a 2005 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Default Looking at a 2005 Civic

I Google'd "Honda Civic forum" and found this place. Seems like a good place to ask my question. Ha.

I'm in the market for a new-used car. There's a 2005 listed online with 20,000 miles for $8500. The trim package isn't included on the advertisement, but the price is only $5 off the KBB value of the LX. So I suppose until I get an email reply from the seller, I'll assume that's what it is.

Any how, my question.... Are there any common problems with this particular model year? I've had my current car for 8 years and have never cared to keep up with basically any other vehicle out there.

I have no interest in high performance racing or modifying anything. I don't know if that would matter to any one thinking about helping my thread but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

I appreciate any help and feedback any one can give. My car now has 203,000 miles and I think it's time I start shopping.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Administrator

So, you dont plan on modding it? It's a fun little car that will get you years of great gas mileage. small mods: intake, header, exhaust, suspension...will keep it fun. enjoy. noone likes a post without pics ;-)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by My04Civic
noone likes a post without pics ;-)
i sure dont. lol. well a way you can tell what trim level it is, is by the power options. if it has a sun/moon roof then its a ex. if it has alloy rims its an ex.

the lx has steel wheels with hubcaps and no sun/moon roofs. hope that helps.

and welcome to th forum. you should stick around because questions will arise when you get your civic. from routine maintenance to modding. even if its changing your speakers.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator

the LX will have black plastic side mirrors, where as the EX will have color matching.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by watts300

I'm in the market for a new-used car. There's a 2005 listed online with 20,000 miles for $8500. The trim package isn't included on the advertisement, but the price is only $5 off the KBB value of the LX. So I suppose until I get an email reply from the seller, I'll assume that's what it is.

Don't assume anything.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by My04Civic
So, you dont plan on modding it? It's a fun little car that will get you years of great gas mileage. small mods: intake, header, exhaust, suspension...will keep it fun. enjoy. noone likes a post without pics ;-)
No. As I said in my first post, I'm not going to modify it. I have no need or desire.
But thanks.

I also don't see any point in posting a picture. It's not my car, plus it wouldn't help gather the information I'm researching.

I'm attempting to learn of any "defects" or common problems with this generation Civic. For example, when I was shopping for the car I have now, I read that windows falling into the door frame weren't uncommon. (So I bought a car with crank windows.)
Or maybe, there's a flawed placement of a component under the hood that leads to trouble in something else. Or maybe the pistons that hold the trunk open are prone to giving out. Heck, I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

But once again, I don't need a list of things that can be done to the car.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 AM

What can i say if got a crush on civic but here is my responsibility to sat you some problems related to your mentioned model so here is my review which belong to the automobile experts
The seventh generation Honda Civic, introduced in 2001, is a simple, economical and easy to maintain small car.
The 2001-05 Civic comes as a four-door sedan or two-door coupe. A hybrid version was available starting from 2003, but it's rare to find.
The Civic has front-wheel drive with transversely mounted 4-cylinder engine and five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. It rides on MacPherson struts in the front suspension and double wishbone in the back. The ABS was standard on EX models.
Inside, the Civic is fairly roomy for a small car. The interior fit and finish is very good. The controls are simple and conveniently located. The instrument panel is straightforward and easy to read. The driver's seat is comfortable and supportive; the rear seat folds down for extra cargo room. The trunk is surprisingly spacious for a small car.
On the road, Honda Civic handles well, although the ride feels stiff and a little bumpy. The engine is a bit noisy on acceleration. Road noise is noticeable at highway speed.
In the NHTSA frontal crash tests, the 2001-2005 Honda Civic has received five stars for both the driver and the front passenger. In the frontal offset crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the 2001-2005 Honda Civic received "Good" overall rating.