General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking to purchase a Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Default Looking to purchase a Civic Si

Just went and test drove a 2002 Civic Si. It was in great shape inside and out. Exterior was white with black interior which I liked. 5 speed of course which shifted very nicely throughout the gears. I figured that I could ask on here and get some more opinions on the car and what problems they have if any and cost of repairs, etc.

The car has 87,000 miles on it, mix of hwy and city according to the owner. He's the second owner, he's 56. Car is completely stock other than 16" wheels that he added on. He is asking $8400 OBO.

What do you guys think? Whats good and bad about the car? Is the price right?

Hoping to get some input from a few owners of this model or any model close to the year range.

Thanks in advance,

jstelzer

Old 07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Default RE: Looking to purchase a Civic Si

As long as it's been taken care of it should be good. Civics tend to develop rear quarter panel rust after about 10 years (if you live where it snows, and drive it in the snow), but other than that civics don't really have any widespread problems. The price sounds really good. Make sure the timing belt has been changed or you change it real soon. If the timing belt snaps, Honda engines are interference engines, and the engine could be seriously damaged. Change the timing belt at the appropriate intervals and you should not have any problems.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM

yea, its definitely been taken care of. helps comfort me to the fact that its a 56 year old guy who's driving it and not some teenager. Not sure if the timing belt has been replaced, but I will do so if I decide to purchase and it has not been. I live in MI right now, but will be spending this winter in southern california, so no worries of salt or snow there...

Thanks for the input, any others who have knowledge would be appreciated as well!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

Well I don't have an ep3 but one of my good friends is on his second. He had an 03, that was also white like the one you are describing, and he cruised in that thing all the time. He never had any problems with the car wat so ever. Now he has an 05 ep3 that has some work done to it and it in amazing condition.
He bought the first one with 55,000 miles for $10,500, He boght the 2nd on which has 22,000 for $13,500. He found both for really good prices 8.4 doesn't sound bad at all

Ohh yea and they have timing chains not timing belts, so i would check on the intervals that they need to be changed not sure if it 90k like usual

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: SuBlime_4_LiFe
Ohh yea and they have timing chains not timing belts, so i would check on the intervals that they need to be changed not sure if it 90k like usual
Alright, I checked your info and yea you're right, they have a timing chain, not a belt. It says for Honda timing chains to change them at 105,000 miles, as opposed to the timing belt's 60,000 miles.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

ORIGINAL: SuBlime_4_LiFe
Alright, I checked your info and yea you're right, they have a timing chain, not a belt. It says for Honda timing chains to change them at 105,000 miles, as opposed to the timing belt's 60,000 miles.
I have the D1Y68 and the recommended change interval for the TB is 90K (60K for extreme conditions....whatever that means). Ive heard stories of belts lasting as long as 150K and still being in good shape when pulled!!

Im truely suprised and saddened by the fact that there is a change interval for a timing chain........ I thought the whole point of a chain is to never need to replace it! [sm=wtf.gif]

Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

^^ i agree with you bro.

most v6 and v8 cars have timing chains and never hear about them having to replace it

Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

^^ i agree with you bro.

most v6 and v8 cars have timing chains and never hear about them having to replace it
hehe, because the domestic engines that usually have V6 and V8s don't last long enough for the chains to break. LOL. Just playing though. Most of those engines are non-interference engines and if it snaps the engine won't get damaged. It's not really as big of a deal to keep up with those if you don't mind it breaking and just being stranded until the tow truck gets there.

Yeah the timing chains are pretty strong but they can break, just like the timing belts can break. Timing belts can last a lot longer than 60k, and timing chains can last a lot longer than 105k. However, you never know exactly how much longer than that they will last so if you don't want yours to break and the engine to get messed up it's best to just follow the Honda recommended service intervals.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: babyivan

I thought the whole point of a chain is to never need to replace it! [sm=wtf.gif]
Nothing lasts forever. The point of a timing chain is not to last forever, just to last longer than a belt.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 AM
HCF Member

I dont get that about Honda, 99% of all thier engines are interference engines........ it's the one sticking point with me and Honda. Toyota's engines have about the opposite reputation, most of their engines are non-interference engines. And I know, "with regular maintenance BLAH BLAH BLAH".....but still Honda must have a reason for doing this, but for the life of me, I cant figure it out!

EDIT:
sorry for thread-jackin

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a Civic Si