General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Lots of power tricks here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Default Lots of power tricks here!

SPARK PLUG TRICK:

When replacing spark plugs, face the gap side toward your intake mani. Make them all line up like this and it will give you a good half horse power.

EGR BLOCK OFF:

Block off your EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve). This valve...well...recirculates exhaust gas from the engine back into the intake mani. Well all that hot air robs power. So, block off the valve. To do this just cut out a plate to cover the inlet and put the valve back in place so you dont throw a check engine light.

VALVE COVER BREATHER:

If you have a cold air intake (I hope you do at this point). Get a valve cover breather instead of using that little hose that connects the CAI to the valve cover. Put the breather on your valve cover so the raw exhaust emitted (very little) does not end up in the intake. Be sure to block off the hole you now have on your CAI instead of adding a breather here, as it would have no purpose.

HEAT SHIELD:

If you have a short ram intake, you may want to make a heat shield for it as the engine bay can heat up the air being taken in.

REFRIGERATION INSULATION:

Great trick here, gut some refrigeration insulation from a hardware store and wrap your cold air intake arm, and if you dont have a fuel cooler, wrap the fuel lines in the engine bay for a little power.

COOLANT LINE LOOP:

Your Honda may have its coolant line routed through the throttle body. Well after your engine is hot, the coolant is heated and flows through your TB, inturn creating a hot intake charge (infact I've heard the charge will be 160 degrees or higher). Ok so, take the lines off the TB and connect them so that they loop and the coolant runs from the engine, then, back into the engine. You gotta block the holes that you now have in the TB. Some cars may have a fast idle valve that may freak out and rev your engine, if this happens, disable it.

WEIGHT REDUCTION:

I'm sure you know all the weight reduction tricks. Here are a couple more: Toss out the spare tire and cut out the tire well that it sits in and weld a flat sheet of light weight metal over the hole. Remove tow hooks on underside of your car. Ditch the spoiler, for a FWD car its dead weight.

WASHER HOOD COWLING:

Space the bolts in your hood hinges with a few big washers, it will raise the hood a little and creat a gap where air can flow out of, thus cooling the engine. (I think it would look ugly, but someone may like the idea)

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT:

Get a low temp thermostat, it will help your engine stay cool.

TIMING ADVANCE:

Advance your timing. This makes your engine wait a little longer to ignite the fuel and creats more torque. Remember to use 91+ octane because the higher compression may pre-ignite lower octane fuels. If you hear knocking or pinging, then your fuel is pre-igniting, go back to normal timing or use higher octane. (higher octane, 91,94 etc., is harder to ignite)

BRAKE DUST SHIELD:

Your brakes creat friction to slow your Honda, friction=heat, your brakes hate heat. Lots of cars have brake dust shields. They are as they sound, they shield dust. Well for the most part they are not effective at all. They trap heat on the rotor and cause brake fade. So take em' off!

PHENOLIC SPACER:

Pick up a Phenolic spacer and use it to creat a gap between your intake and the engine. Use around 3/4" thick to be safe to creat some low end torque.

IAT SENSOR RELOCATE:

Relocate the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) if you have one. This sensor tells the computer how hot the air is that is coming into the engine, and will adapt timing and fuel ingection according to the reading. Well the bad part is that the sensor is located on the intake mani right near the cylinder head. This area is hot and creates a hot reading, when really your air intake temp is colder then the sensor says. So relocate the sensor to your CAI arm with a weld or otherwise so that it will read true.

EXHAUST:

General Rules: (single exhaust) For 1.5-2.0L engines with 100hp 2.00" piping should be used, 150hp=2.25", 200hp=2.50"

Hope you found some stuff of use, thanks.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Lots of power tricks here!

sorry sorry this should be put in "tips and tricks"...howd I miss that. Im posting in there now.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ProjectH

BRAKE DUST SHIELD:

Your brakes creat friction to slow your Honda, friction=heat, your brakes hate heat. Lots of cars have brake dust shields. They are as they sound, they shield dust. Well for the most part they are not effective at all. They trap heat on the rotor and cause brake fade. So take em' off!
is there anything negitive that comes out of doing this?

Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

filthy rims

Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

in no time at all. I made that mistake on my stock steering knuckles, and my wheels dusted up in one day.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:54 PM

the hood tilt really dosnt add much power...its main purpose is to release heat from turboed cars but alot of ppl just do it for aesthetic reasons...im sure either way ur not gena notice a power difference.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM

ya lots of this stuff is for the "go" crowd. if you are a "show" kid, stick to you neon lights.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM

have these things been proven for gains? seems like alot of it is just tinkering around with w/e's under the hood and could be just the "in ur head" power type stuff...

Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM

well i bought a swap guide and it came with a tuner tricks book also, thats where there from. iv never done anything on the list, but if you know anything about engines, you know heat is bad, and thats what alot of these tricks deal with. when I do my swap ill dyno my stock H and then hit up some of these "tricks" and let you all know. Iv also heard people talking about a few things on here, but that was on honda-tech.com

Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I would recommend that people further research what they are doing before removing coolant lines, altering your emissions system, etc.

Quick Reply: Lots of power tricks here!