General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Ls/Vtec Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

im still trying to find out if anyone dynoed a b20/vtec...or even a ls/vtec N/A...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 AM

Are you kidding me? Google. Youtube. Took me literally five seconds to find these.

b20 vtec dyno - YouTube

ls vtec dyno - YouTube

Every set-up will give you different result. Use these purely as references to see what you could possibly make.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 06-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Animal_00
like i said ive heard didnt quote it....

well since u seem like you kno your stuff unless u look up your answers on the internet... they made three diffrent motors for the crv (over the past years) do you kno the size on the blocks or the specs???? because all u keep saying its a bored out b18 when i still don see how they will match i have my money on the bored b18 that will take a b20....... remeber were talking about the block (stock).......
do you understand what actually determines displacement?

correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the volume in the combustion chambers. Honda essentially bored out the b18 and put b20 as the code.

that's why the walls are so much thinner.

don't know what motors you are talking about, but if there are 3 versions, the differences are probably similar to b18a vs b18b, or, the d16a6 from 88 vs the one from 91. couple hp gains, nothing significant.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zerojett
do you understand what actually determines displacement?

correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the volume in the combustion chambers. Honda essentially bored out the b18 and put b20 as the code.

that's why the walls are so much thinner.

don't know what motors you are talking about, but if there are 3 versions, the differences are probably similar to b18a vs b18b, or, the d16a6 from 88 vs the one from 91. couple hp gains, nothing significant.
which some are jst small compression number drop and go higher doring each year they made a new one i believe last one was from the b20Z rite?

but the whole thing is i still wouldnt compare b20 with b18 even if bored our what you think?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Animal_00
which some are jst small compression number drop and go higher doring each year they made a new one i believe last one was from the b20Z rite?

but the whole thing is i still wouldnt compare b20 with b18 even if bored our what you think?
small compression numbers!? are you kidding me?

Seriously, tell me what you think is so different.

Stock block for stock block, the b20 is just a bored out b18.

The b20z is what they used in the CRV.

Any B20 prior to that was the useless Prelude bastard motor. NO similarity, nothing compatible.

The difference between, say, a 96 or a 98 might be 1hp or so. Same goes for a b18a/b of a year difference.

So why wouldn't you compare a b18 to a b20?
Both can convert to VTEC
B20 will crack cylinder walls
B18/B20 both have the same potential, and will cost about the same to get the same numbers, no? Why? Because they are the saaame.

Yeah, compression numbers are relative to displacement by the way. Taking THIS much volume and compressing it to THIS much.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by zerojett
small compression numbers!? are you kidding me?

Seriously, tell me what you think is so different.

Stock block for stock block, the b20 is just a bored out b18.

The b20z is what they used in the CRV.

Any B20 prior to that was the useless Prelude bastard motor. NO similarity, nothing compatible.

The difference between, say, a 96 or a 98 might be 1hp or so. Same goes for a b18a/b of a year difference.

So why wouldn't you compare a b18 to a b20?
Both can convert to VTEC
B20 will crack cylinder walls
B18/B20 both have the same potential, and will cost about the same to get the same numbers, no? Why? Because they are the saaame.

Yeah, compression numbers are relative to displacement by the way. Taking THIS much volume and compressing it to THIS much.
so if i get a cylinder ring guard for my b20/vtec is this going to protect it from cracking cylinder wall...

Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Mainegd21
so if i get a cylinder ring guard for my b20/vtec is this going to protect it from cracking cylinder wall...
nope.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Are you kidding me? Google. Youtube. Took me literally five seconds to find these.

b20 vtec dyno - YouTube

ls vtec dyno - YouTube

Every set-up will give you different result. Use these purely as references to see what you could possibly make.
well finish with my build...just put 500 miles on motor and still going strong...motor has a lil tapping nose, but my buddy says it will go away and its be cause of the vtec head on vtec block...got wring issues also, vtec has to be wired to a switch...and if car is off for over 4 hours its runs rough when i crank it up...but beside that everything is going good...kinda rushed on the build...car has good power even without the vtec engaging...

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

I gotta admit man, that does not sound good. Tapping noise? Why would there be a tapping noise just because its a vtec head on a non-vtec block?

And why isn't your vtec wired up? What ecu are you using?

Runs rough when you start it up? ehhh....

Did you end up going with the b20 block/gsr head/gsr tranny combo? what pistons? If I remember right, you were using 10:1 compression pistons? Have you changed the oil since the break-in?

tell us more!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shandles
I gotta admit man, that does not sound good. Tapping noise? Why would there be a tapping noise just because its a vtec head on a non-vtec block?

And why isn't your vtec wired up? What ecu are you using?

Runs rough when you start it up? ehhh....

Did you end up going with the b20 block/gsr head/gsr tranny combo? what pistons? If I remember right, you were using 10:1 compression pistons? Have you changed the oil since the break-in?

tell us more!
the guy who had the car before me turboed the gsr motor...he sold the turbo and put a bolt in the oil feed line...me being dumb drove car like that n bolt came loose...oil ran out block blowed...but the wiring harness was all rid up to power turbo and i had to redo the fuel rail wires and wires to distributor...and cuting all the wires to the huge tach and boost controller and i guess we clipped some vtec wires...but vtec does work...its a mess with that wring harness...so im currently looking to buy a new wiring harness with vtec...and start from there...all my problems are just within that wiring harness...
no i havent changed the oil yet...im using a tuned ecu a p72...

n yea the tapping doesnt sound good to me either...

Quick Reply: Ls/Vtec Build