General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Maintenance for my conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Maintenance for my conditions

Okay, this is for my 04 LX 5 speed. Bought it Honda Certified with 55,000, now has 71,000. Oil was changed at dealer 4,000 miles ago with mobil 1 and a Honda filter.

I have 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5w20, a bosch oil filter,and plenty of Honda MTF waiting to go in.

When I first bought the car I didn't do my own maintenance because I had no access to a decent shop, and now I have access to two, my work and school, so I'm doing my own work to keep it under warranty.

The way I drive it is mostly 55mph "highway" country road driving, with occasional times of getting on it like any normalperson. Over winter I have started the car approx 10 minutes before I leave to let it warm up (don't know if this is good or bad for it) but it helps me get crap melted off the outside of it.

I am also a volunteerfirefighter and occasionally I have to get in and go in the middle of the night, so it does get an average amount of stop and go style driving. But considering where I live and where I drive mostly, it gets a lot of cruise time.

I am going to want to change my oil at 5,000, and at that time I will swap the oil in the transmission too because I don't know if the dealer did it when I bought it or not. The paperwork says they did, but I've checked out the car when I brought it to them and found they lacked in a lot of service areas! (Surprise surprise)

What can you guys say about my maintenance I should do. I still have my receipt for the oil filter if I should exchange for a better one. I'm sold on the Mobil 1 though.

Also, what can be said about changing the fluid in my brake system and in my clutch to synthetic brake fluid? (the clutch does use brake fluid in this right). Few guys I go to school with run it in their brakes and love it. Figured it wouldn't hurt the clutch lines to do so.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Maintenance for my conditions

Sounds like your doing a good job so far. A lot of people over look warming up their cars to optimum operating temperature.

mobil 1 is up there with the best, ifnot thee best. I wouldn't change the brakefluid unless you have to pump them to stop. If you do heavy breaking a lot it might need to be changed quicker, but i haven't done mine since I got it. If it's a little low you can top it off. Go with OEM fluids for honda from the dealership. Well worth it, just replace the brake pads with ceramic's if they are starting to squeak. They are a little more expensive than standard brakes but worth it. Tranny fluid go OEM aswell IMO. I did mine in the fall and improved the shift feel a lot.

You might want to pick up a helms manual if you don't already. I believe there is a 60k mile service interval. Some go by the book some don't depends on the person.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

Well that's good. I figure I pay out the wazoo for the car every month compared to what I have owned before, may as well take care of it!

When I had it at the dealer, the synthetic they ran was Mobil 1, so I figure I will keep running that, and like I said I have the honda MTF waiting to go in.

Is there anywhere online you would say I could get that manual from? A bunch of the local auto parts stores seem to have every manual but mine whenever I go there, for any car I've owned.

The brakes are tight as can be, and the clutch works like silk except when it's extremely cold it gets "stiff".

I try not to drive it hard (if at all) when it's dead cold. I like around 10 minutes or so of running beforeI drive, and I never drive it hard until it's up to temp when I do.

I did have the front brake pads replaced and the rotors cut at the dealer once while I was up there about 2000 miles ago, but they stopped perfect before (were just very low on pad material) and they still stop awesome. Fluid in the reservoir is golden and clear.

I plan to own this car long after I pay it off and keep it in my collection until it completely runs into the ground.

Would a 5k interval for oil changes be fine for how I use it? And for the trans, 15k or 30k or what?

Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 AM

If you're running Mobile 1 true synthetic (not the blend), you can extend your oil change intervals even more, IF YOU ARE ALSO USING EXTENDED LIFE FILTERS. I have recently gone to 15,000 mile oil change intervals on my Civic, using Amsoil synthetic and Amsoil extended life filters, both of which have a change interval of 25,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I came to this conclusion and practice after reading and studying everything I could about motor oil and oil changes for about 2 years. As an example....Amsoil conducted real-world research in which no significant engine wear was discovered on trucks that had used Amsoil synthetic, WITHOUT OIL CHANGES, for over 400,000 miles. All they did was change the oil filter on a regular, recommended basis and occasionally add oil as needed.

I would also say, in my opinion, as well as those of others who should know, that allowing your car to warm up in the driveway for 10 minutes is NOT the most effective way to warm up your engine...unless you are using this time to clean snow and ice off your car so that you have good visibility. The fastest and most effective way to warm up your engine is to drive moderately for the first 3-5 miles. Not only will your engine warm up more quickly, but you also have the advantage of warming up transmission fluid and wheel bearing lubricant at the same time.

I know that particularly the engine oil change intervals that I speak of fly in the face of "convential wisdom." Unfortunately, that "convential wisdom" is more often than not the product of oil company marketing and 1960's technology and practice. Honda, to some degree, recognizes this as well. For example, I have a Honda motorcycle, for which the factory recommended oil change intervals are 14,000 miles...as stated in the owner's manual. And guess what...motorcycle engines are typically subjected to greater stress and higher rpms than automobile engines. So...feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well bleeding the clutch and brakes is a good idea but just use OEM brake fluid, simply suck out MOST of the old dirty fluid out of the resevors tho you dont get it all of course dont try to, then refill the resevors and start bleeding the brakes and clutch system till the fluid comes out clean/clear fluid their should be a obvious color change

Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

The best manual to get is the Factory Service Manual. The others aren't detailed enough. Pick one up at your local Honda dealer, or find one online.

Flush ALL of the fluids occasionally. A service manual should tell you when. Also, get a decent alarm.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Kommando

The best manual to get is the Factory Service Manual. The others aren't detailed enough. Pick one up at your local Honda dealer, or find one online.

Flush ALL of the fluids occasionally. A service manual should tell you when. Also, get a decent alarm.
Honda does not recommend flushing fluids. They recommend a drain and fill. This is because the flush systems use chemical cleaners, which can leave residues in the lines that will have an effect on the fluids.

Use OEM brake and transmission fluid.

Use any certified oil (any name brand).

Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cderalow
Honda does not recommend flushing fluids. They recommend a drain and fill. This is because the flush systems use chemical cleaners, which can leave residues in the lines that will have an effect on the fluids.
Use OEM brake and transmission fluid.
Use any certified oil (any name brand).
Honda also doesn't recommend using synthetic oil in their motos. Intelligent people can learn better for themselves. You don't have to use a chemical flush to flush your fluids. You can use just clean fluid to do it.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

What do you mean, the theft deterrent system? I think it came with it.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

The mobil 1 I use is in the silver bottle with the grey area behind the "5W20" letters/numbers. It says "fully synthetic" on the top left of the bottle. This isn't a blend is it? It says "warranty protection for Honda Ford and Chrysler"

Quick Reply: Maintenance for my conditions