General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

major problem about to happen...pls help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
HCF Member
Default major problem about to happen...pls help

ok so i got my car outta the shop yesterday..(pics to come later) and i wanted to just drive around a bit since i havent had it in 3 weeks.So as the more that im driving i start to smell like this kinda burning plastic smell and as the more i drive the worse it gets,so after about an hour of driving im at a stoplight and i look in my rearview and see smoke coming from underneath my car and i start to see it coming from the front as well.Now the more im driving the less torque im starting to feel and and there is like no power from a stop and everytime i aslmost stop it feels like it wants to die.Now i try and hurry up and make it home then when i finally get there i go to stop to back up and then thats when it dies and now it wont start either....it turns over and everything just fine but wont start.This morning i went out to see if it would and it did start so im assuming that over night it cooled down and worked for some reason...so if anyone can help me figure out whats going on or anything like that it would be great cause it seems kinda major or it couldnt not be but i dont know.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: major problem about to happen...pls help

is it manual or auto. why was it in the shop?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

its an auto...it was at the shop just for some body repair....so i just went to check the oil and everything and its barely reading on the stick and i just put a quart in yesterday so i dont think thats good but i didnt have any smoke coming outta the pipe so i dont know.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

anyone else cause i have no idea and dont have the right stuff to check???

Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

hum.... burning smell could be tuff to pinpoint without lifting the car while running and looking for smoke... BUT for the oil it COULD be something as small as the oil filter isnt tight enough or oilpan bolt needs a new seal on it since most people including me HARDLY EVER change it every oil change.LOL im not gonna lie... i only change it if it looks scared up or to crushed..

just let your motor cool and try to tighten the oil filter or at least SEE if any oil has been driping down the block and onto the exaust.....

what was repaired on the car if ya dont mind saying so?
could be body shop had to rehang muffler system and a rubber hanger is touching the pipes for the smell or muffler tip is touching the rear bumper or front splash gaurds...

Old 06-30-2007, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

well you know addict about that little accident i had...remember cause i said i would send you the link to the post when i have time to do it....new rear bumper,wing is off and smoked tails.But yeah ill have to have the car running here in a bit and see if i can see or find out anything....ill make that other post later on today with some pics though.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya.LOL i got a bad memory

just check your your pipes on the rear bumper and such and if thiers any oil drips under your car......
gotta be something small or a total fluke..... that damage wasnt bad enough to get into any wiring back thier.... gotta be the bumper/exaust pipe touching......

Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

yeah but alot of the smoke was coming from under the front of the car too and ive never lost a quart of oil in one day before so thats what got me worried.....my dad is a mechanic and is gonna check it out when he gets home but damn does he hate working on my car...lol...you got anyother thoughts on what it could be besides the pan maybe cause it was getting worse the longer i was driving???

Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 PM
HCF Member

i let it idle for about 5 minutes and never saw any drips or anything like that so i dont know....i cant get it up on a stand right now to see better but i dont know if its safe to drive on though.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I think the burning plastic smell could come from insulation from your wiring especially since your car is not starting.

Quick Reply: major problem about to happen...pls help