General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

manual driving tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member
Default manual driving tips

so i took my first drive in my civic today it was only a test drive only went a couple miles but still kinda exciting. It was my first time really driving a stick and im not gonna lie i kinda sucked at it. It took me 3 tries to get the clutch and gas right to start out with and then i got to the top of my driveway(very steep) and had to stop on the hill to look for cars. well i didnt stall starting that time cause i kinda panicked when i started rollin down the hill so i gave her a lotta gas.(first burnout on the first test drive) it was pretty easy to shift the rest of the gears just need some tips on starting out. O ya and do u think it is a bad idea that the first stick i learn to drive has a short shifter and a stage 5 clutch? Well any tips r aprecieated and i know ull prolly say just get practice but during my test drive turned out i have an idle problem only when its warmed up and my new brakes i put in dont seem to work hardly could stop and to top it all off i got a small oil leak

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Default RE: manual driving tips

yeah a stage 5 clutch makes it a little tricky but the sts doesnt make a big diff and as far as tips go just go on some extremely low traffic road (i live out in the boonies so they arent hard to find) and practice starting out, u gotta find the sweet spot on the cluch (engagement point) that is the bigggest trick to efficient take offs

Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

Here are the top four things you should do to get better at it.

1. Practice practice practice.
2. Find a nice empty graveyard, and practice there. You can't hurt anyone they are dead already.
3. Do calf raises to help your leg get stronger. You don't what it cramping up on you at the wrong time.
4. Practice practice practice.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

ya i know i gotta practice and there are a ton of never traveled roads or just my driveway its pretty long to practice in but i gotta get my car to run right and stop first. i decided to leave my last charge pipe off my turbo for a couple weeks to practice didnt think it was the best idea to learn to drive a manual with a 14 second car

Old 08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Your first car is a 14 second car?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

no i dont know how fast it will be but in a month ill have my turbo on dyno tuned to 8psi 2.5 inch exhaust and dp hi flow car 255 lph fuel pump dsm 450s apexi afc for vtec control so u do the math should run 14s if i ever learn to drive lol but no its not my first car i had a 1994 civic lx 4 door auto as my dd still got it but its not a dd anymore lol not even a driver and i also have a 1993 civic dx hatch well this is my dads but im the one who fixed it and then he lost the keys so cant really learn to drive stick with it till i find the keys

Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

Its great that you want to learn to drive stick, but from the sounds of it, that is not the car you should be driving anytime soon. Your 16 right? That means that you have almost no driving experience. Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

ya im 16 and i know were ur coming from thinkin i shouldnt drive a car like that but u tell me if u had the chance when u were 16 what would u do

Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

No I doubt I would have. By the time I was 16 I had already had three friends killed in car wrecks. But I had some bad luck. LOL I also knew about 10 kids in high school that died from racing, and driving too fast.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

im thinkin that ill leave the charge pipes off hence no turbo for a while till i learn to drive pretty good then ill put the pipe on and get it tuned and such

Quick Reply: manual driving tips