General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Default RE: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

^ do u have bad driving habits? thats the onlything i can think of since u said u have a 2007 civic which mean the o2 sensor should be good and ur filter shouldnt be dirty or anything like tht.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 AM
HCF Member

I'm endeavering to improve them on this current tank of gas. I feel I've been better being more concious of it. I know all the engine stuff should be fine, sensor, filter, etc. And that's what worries me. Or on the other hand if it IS the car. Well that would sure be a problem. My first ever new car and I get a bad one.

The only thing left to really wait on is the break in peroid and hope this improves over time. And I still plan on using a better brand gas on my next tank.

As of coming to work this morning I'm down to about 1/4 a tank and am only at 230 miles. I'll just barely make it to 300 miles before I fill up I bet.

I've also had the AC off 98% of this tank's "test" run.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM

u sure you are calculating those figures right? to get that low of a number i can't think of any way to do it. because i don't even get below 30 hiting the gas as hard as possible non stop. something is not right.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

Pretty sure but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Since my first tank of gas (From the dealer) I started coming here and learning how to do MPG properly. I did a slight guess after my first tank, and from my own estimates, I got about 23mpg. Seriously.

To confirm, when I fill again, I take my mileage (which I set to zero at the start of this) and divide how much gallons go into the car when I fill up again. Right? So if my mileage ends at 302 miles and I put 10.6 gallons in, I got 28.49 MPG... or whatever.

Thanksfor talking through this with me. Glad it's not just me that thinks this is very baffling. My driving is definately more highway that street, by the way.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 AM

yeah, on the highway, i just took a trip to tennesse and on the way back i went 477 miles on 11.184 gallons of gas.. so i can't really figure out why your numbers would be so low. unless the computer is not programmed right, sending in more gas than is neccessary.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

I admit I'm not good with dealing with people about getting things fixed. Not very assertive for lack of a better term. If this problem persists, I suppose I should take it to the dealer. I just don't want to get...**** for it you know? I gave them $22,000 afterall. I don't want to hear the excuses like "Maybe it's your driving" or "Break it in more." Etc.

I will be taking a long road trip in September. 400 miles each way. But I dont know if I wanna go that long before a big test like that.

Would checking that computer thing be hard?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

You are worrying about a non-existent problem. Drive your Civic and let the mileage fall where it may. Keep track and you will see that it will end up in the 28-30 MPG range in your daily driving. If you are a careful driver you may even get to see an occasional 34 MPG tank. I posted a link earlier in this thread to thewww.fueleconomy.goveconomy ratings. See what the realworld ratings are, not what someone got on one tank or what they wish they were getting.

One tank does not an average make......

Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 AM
HCF Member

Milage is effected by far more things than you know, everything from traffic congestion(even on the highway at the speed limit) to cross winds, grade of gas you buy(not what octane but the quality of the gas as far as which station you get it at), to how much stuff you cary in your car, the material the road is made out of, tire make/pressure/an condition. The amount of accesories you run, how much you weigh, so on and so forth. All are small thing but alot of small things add up.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

Are you trying to tell me my car is fine?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

Oh no it's me again!

Ha ha. Seriously. Maybe I should make a new thread for THIS, but maybe you fine folks already subscribed can help. Let me thank you for all your help with my milage woes. I'm finally realizing my car is fine. Today I got to do a estimate and with my last tank of gas, I got about 30 MPG. Much better to whatI was aiming for.

Now here is the weird part. Nothing I am really concerned about, just curious more than anything.

According to my manual, my Ex Sedan Auto has a 13 gallon Tank. It also says the low fuel light comes on when I have about 1.9 gallons left, or basically when I have used up 11 Gallons. Right? So driving back from a family function today the light came on, but I drove a little more. I was trying to get low (But not TOO low) so I could use up most of the Arco and switch to a better brand gas. I went till ALL the indicator bars on the digital readout were gone and still a few miles past that. I was starting to get worried I had went down too low. So it was quite surprising when I filled my tank up and the thing cut off at 10.5 gallons! I even did the no no of starting up the pump again but it stopped immediately.

I'm just curious why the low fuel light came on early, when (Best I can tell) I still had 3 gallons left. It's a good thing really, it's nice to know I still have that much when the light comes on, but maybe my gauge is offa little? Like I said, I drove it down to NO dots on the fuel guage.

Curious. (But hey...my Gas Mileage is good!)

Quick Reply: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised