General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

More power/Reliability

Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 AM
HCF Member
Default More power/Reliability

So I'm bored with the power of my new car already and I want more!!! At what point does the reliability go south? I had a built 350 in a car back in the day and even though the motor, fuel injection system and everything else was brand new it seemed something was always breaking or not running right. Now I know were talking about Honda here which is one of the most reliable cars on the road but how far can you really push these things before you end up working on them every day. I would like to get another 50-100 hp from the car but being it's brand new and my payments aren't exactly small I don't want my new ride to be sitting in the garage because it's got a blown motor. Is building the motor vs. boosting it more reliable? I don't know which way to go? Should I just suck it up and leave it stock and get my thrills from 2 wheels instead of 4? Sorry for the rant! Just bored at work! [8D]

Old 02-21-2006, 11:31 AM
HCF Member
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: More power/Reliability

Yours is an 06, right?

I'm going to try and collect info on 8th gen mods in this thread over here: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_160510/tm.htm
feel free to add to it.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Yep, '06 Si

Old 02-21-2006, 01:20 PM

^ you got some good power as it is.... but right now you might have to wait till the market catches up. congrats on the si...

Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: dj_ipirate

^ you got some good power as it is.... but right now you might have to wait till the market catches up. congrats on the si...
i agree, its going to be a wile till the 06 starts getting a bunch of parts to choose from, i hear people having trouble with the 05s still

..but sounds good, personally tho..i think once you start messing around with major things (not like intake/header/exhust) you better no your car inside and out and how to fix things because i can garentee you somthings going to go wrong, not for the worse..but somthing you should no how to fix as for a mod

Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

Okay.....I know their is not a lot available for mods on the new Si yet but that wasn't what I was really asking. What I'm wondering is where the point of reliability goes down. I know I can gain a small amount of power from an cold air intake and full exhaust and that shouldn't really effect the cars reliability....but I'm not looking for a small gain...basically can you get another 50-100hp out of Honda without sacrificing reliability? JR says there supercharger retains daily reliability and drivability. Does anyone have a JR unit on there car and have you had any problems?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
HCF Member

It doesnt nreally go down at all unless you go all wacked out over mods. If you got a turbo charger and ran it around 6psi daily you would be fine for quite awhile. An intake, header, and exhaust would do absolutley nothing harmful to your car accept give you around 25-30 horses more and increase fuel economy. That is if you dont play lead foot all the time.

Fortunatly for you Hondas are tough as nails and easy to tinker with. You wont be breaking down everyday.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

That is if you dont play lead foot all the time.

Who me? lead foot?....hahaha! I'll have to say I love the sound the new Si makes at 5800rpm and you kinda have to put the foot down for her to sing that sweet song. [8D]

I'm eagerly waiting for JR or Comptech to release a charger for this car.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

actually you take a chance on reliability after the first mod, be it intake or muffler... but the problems are few and far between.

As for boosting, a bit tougher with your compression ratio. Im not saying it cant be done, just that its a bit trickier to get higher boost levels out of it. IMO just go with an intake/header/exhaust (once they are mass produced) and that should be good for a decent gain. If you still arent satisfied then thats when it will get tricky... you will have to start looking into mods like cams or fuel managment which will pretty much throw your warranty out the window along with that warm reliability feeling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More power/Reliability