General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My build so far.. advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

^^ did you even read my post??

you won't need clutch or pistons or rods or.... unless you want well over 200 whp. if you do go the ebay route you can easily be boosted for under 2k, and 1450 for 144whp is not worth it imo. and you'll still need to tune anyways with headwork

Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

After reading up on the ebay turbo's... seem's 60% of people have problems and 40% dont... I dont want to go that route.

If all I did was boost it, could that be done for under $2000? And what gains would that give me?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

sigh..... yes and around 200whp....you'll have to find used parts

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

I have used both Stage 2 and 3 XTD clutches (for both D and B series) in the past and have never had a problem with them. I say if you want an inexpensive, decent clutch go with XTD.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

I emailed the guy and asked if they offered military discount... he'll give me 10% off sale price this week only.. $1305... It's 144hp with stock exhaust and stock exhaust manifold... my si has full cat back and aftermarket header... so I'll be pushing over 155 to the wheels.

Im tempted.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

Ok, im retarded... I was looking at the wrong dyno.. From the dyno sheet he just emailed me, on a 1.6 with header and head package, he put down right at 170hp to the wheels, 119lb ft of tq.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

stay away from the ebay turbo kits, they are junk and dont listen to him, he didnt have his car long enough to find out what p.o.s. he bought. there is alot of people that have built boosted 200hp d16 motors, google and read, your parts dont have to be 100% brand new, you can find used kits and stuff alot cheapier to save on the build, i think you need to do more research about boosting your civic first. you cant just bolt a turbo on and be done, when you add more air, you also will need to add more fuel, and then allow the exhaust to flow better, get a turbo is the easy part, you will need to get your ecu tuned, upgrade fuel pump/injectors, and also upgrade your spark. you can get a b18c1 and swap it in and be close to your goal, then later build the motor more to get to your goals, but to swap in a dohc you will need to also research more, because you will need more than just a motor, you will need a trans, axles, ecu, shift linkage, exhaust, wiring harness, motor mounts. my best advise is to find a wrecked/cheap running acura integra and swap the engine and stuff it into your civic. then later or if you have left over $$$ build the motor some.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

yeah, good luck with the head, let us know how it goes...

Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by BeitzelSi
After reading up on the ebay turbo's... seem's 60% of people have problems and 40% dont... I dont want to go that route.

If all I did was boost it, could that be done for under $2000? And what gains would that give me?
You were headed in the right direction by search about ebay turbos, why did you stop there?

Research would show that power gains depend on the size of the turbo, PSI, and a whooollllle bunch more things.

With $2k, I would simply start buying parts for the turbo build. Price out everything you need, and then add like $500 on top of it since the little things you think wont cost much add up and there are always extra expenses that you do not think about.

Originally Posted by BeitzelSi
From the dyno sheet he just emailed me, on a 1.6 with header and head package, he put down right at 170hp to the wheels, 119lb ft of tq.
So a D series 1.6 SOHC VTEC made 170 whp and 119wtq with headwork only? For some reason, I am finding it hard to believe. Someone correct me if this seems right and I am just losing my mind.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You were headed in the right direction by search about ebay turbos, why did you stop there?

Research would show that power gains depend on the size of the turbo, PSI, and a whooollllle bunch more things.

With $2k, I would simply start buying parts for the turbo build. Price out everything you need, and then add like $500 on top of it since the little things you think wont cost much add up and there are always extra expenses that you do not think about.

So a D series 1.6 SOHC VTEC made 170 whp and 119wtq with headwork only? For some reason, I am finding it hard to believe. Someone correct me if this seems right and I am just losing my mind.

Im not saying who's right or wrong.. But they said with that head package, 4-1 header, full exhaust, high flow cat and intake that's what it was putting down... With just head package, 150-155hp.

Quick Reply: My build so far.. advice wanted.