General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

My Sunday night.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:24 PM
HCF Member
Default My Sunday night.

Head gasket, timing belt, water pump = 4 hours.

Just gettin started.

We kinda cheated and just supported the head instead of taking the IM and all everything completely off. Ideally you are gonna want to take it apart and get it resurfaced and cleaned up real good, but my motor didn't even get overheated so I figured it was safe just to clean it really well. B-12 Chemtool rules. I should buy stock in this stuff.

Here is the new gasket next to the old one. If you look at the puny yellow circle on the 2nd cylinder from the right you can see a burn ring.

The head. Valves looking a little rough, but I will be replacing the whole head in a few months anyway when I get my new one built.

Torquing it back down. That's a bad *** torque wrench.

I have to say, all of you that whine about the crank bolt, I was expecting this epic battle complete with multiple curses, head scratches, thrown and broken wrenches, and a general will to quit Hondas all together, but fo revery job, there is a tool. And this is it. Find one, make one, do what you have to do, but get one. This + a small breaker bar = hardly a grunt.

What all the fuss is about...

This is the old water pump. It a good shot of the reference mark on it lined up.

And here we go. Brnad spanking new timing belt. I feel so much better. This was long overdue.

Bam! The Diaper Sniper is stoked about it. 7 weeks old.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: My Sunday night.

Good pic's man and thats a cute baby.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

damn 4 hours[8D] i wish my crank pulley would accept that locking tool of yours, not fair. maybe you should do a write up on headgasket, timing belt, water pump replacment if you have more pics. btw how do you like the JR? ive been looking into purchasing an SC one day.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

I was gonna do a write-up, but it would have been so looooong and I didn't get enough pics to illustrate it the way I would want to.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

No ARP head studs?