General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need engine tech help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

I'd just start looking for another motor. If you have metal in the oil, there is no telling how bad the damage is. It could end up costing a hell of a lot more to fix the motor than simply replacing it.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Chubby Chaser

you can repair your motor as i mentioned before on your other thread, you will need to buy a new crank and replace the crank and rod bearings, or if you have a engine machine shop drop th crank off to them and have it turned .10 over and buy new oversized crank bearings.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Chubby Chaser

u mean a d15b,

you say it looks good but ive worked many years at a engine machine shop building engines, when bearings go bad they put grooves in the crank, and even if you do put new bearings (with is just a metal sleeve and not an actual bearing) the worn grooves in the crank will just ruin the new bearings and make your engine knock again.

500$ to turn the crank and put a new oil pump is way way to much, ur saying they wanna charge 250 for the crank and 250 for a oil pump ...?????

you can just buy a new crank at autozone for way way cheaper and im pretty sure they come with new bearings

Old 01-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes they shave down the crank so it is smooth again, then use bearings that are thicker than stock to compensate for the lost metal. The clearance between the crank and the bearing is very small and critical. The way a plain bearing works is that the metal never touches, instead it rides on a layer of oil in the gap. This requires the metal to be very smooth and exactly the right size, and of course a constant flow of oil.

It really is a lot simpler to swap the whole engine, having a guarantee on the whole engine from whoever sold it. If you try changing parts inside the engine there's no guarantee that there won't be other problems, and it can quickly become a waste of money.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by chrismag
yea i ment to say d15b
any ways
if i get a new crank wont i need to have it machined?
and pepole keep saying machined? whats machined? like are they going to shave it down
no you will not need to machine a new crank you just bolt it right up,
the reason i said you can have your old one machined is to smooth out the grooves made by the old bad rod bearing,

Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Chubby Chaser

yes thats that i been saying, if everything is good, just buy a new crank and ask cause im pretty sure it comes with bearings and just replace it.

Quick Reply: need engine tech help