General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need help modding my hood (cai related)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM
HCF Member
Default need help modding my hood (cai related)

On my 95' lx beater, we just put a AEM short ram intake on it last week... cant really tell any power dif. of course... but it does sound better. We're cutting the muffler off and straight piping it to give it a little better sound and better exhaust flow....

But the thing is, the short ram is sitting right under the hood, where it's full of hot air.....

I got the resonator box out, but the U shaped tube.. I couldnt get out.. Is there anything I could do to the hood.. or in general to get more cold air under there that's not going to cost a lot... Someone mentioned cutting a square shaped hole in the hood above the filter and welding a piece of black painted metal mesh ontop to keep debris out.... but water coming in on the filter wouldnt be good...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM

I really don't think a hole in the hood will be able to pull in cooler air when driving. If you had a scoop over it, I can see it working a little better. Buy a piping kit for like $40 and make it a CAI.

I had a bunch of ideas for holes, slots, intake walls, intake shields that I experimented with last year. I was never courageous enough to actually cut my hood, just because I found reasons NOT to do it each time.

I ended up with this....

Name:  061710-FrontendoffPic.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  92.5 KB

With that(^^), I picked up a set of fog lights and used only the brackets and fog bezels. I was able to sell the lights and the wiring harness with little to no effort. Here's what it looks like from the outside.

Name:  DSC02915.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  57.7 KB

I have a few little tweaks left for it, but essentially the intake system on my car is done.

Anyways, I am not sure if you have the same type of set-up on your LX. Being a LX, it is a 4 door where OEM (or OEM replica) fogs would be in the bumper grille (in the middle), rather than in the sides of the bumper like mine and the 92-95 Civic coupes/hatches. You may have to get a little creative, but for the most part, a simple CAI system would be best for you IMO.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 10-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

Does autozone sale the "pipe kit" or do you mean, just buy some pipes lol.

Do I just remove the filter and attach it to the existing intake pipe using a rubber attachment for the pipes to slide into?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

Or maybe try checking on Ebay for a cold air intake maybe the pipes you would need to buy would come out to the same price...(idk)?

here's some
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories

And this way all the pipes would all match?
lol