General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need help on more power

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Default RE: Need help on more power

i just got some 17in konig with kunho tires they help a little but i was thinking about getting some coilover off of ebay for $63 is that a good deal or what i want them because they are cheap.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

how much power do you have on your civic? what have you done to it? With high perfromance tires, take offs shouldn't be that big a problem.. How are you launching? Also, are you doing a street launch or drag?

About the coilovers, do you have a link from ebay? Maybe tell us what brand and what type of spring it comes with. I wouldn't trust $63 dollar coilovers on my car. springs will help a bit on wheel hop (maybe) but don't expect a big difference from that. If you only noticed a "little bit" of difference with new tires, then I doubt you will notice a difference in traction with springs.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:40 PM

I only have intake and muffler and rims and tires but here is the link on the coilover

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33582

I also want to ask you is there a way i can make my short air intake louder by putting on a new filter or something because my brother haves a 93 honda civic dx and his short air intake sound like its turbocharged it is loud as hell

tha

Old 11-28-2004, 09:04 AM

those dont look that bad actually, i have ground controls, definately go with coil over and not drop springs, handling will be tight especially if you get a nice strut to compliment it, but stock is ok, i am on stock, ground control =

Old 11-28-2004, 02:51 PM
HCF Member

Ya they LOOK ok since they are new. But there is no information on the spring rates or what type of springs are included.

Personally, I do not like sleeve type coilovers. ESPECIALLY if you plan on upgrading the dampers. Handling has nothing to do with whether the springs used are coilovers or lowering springs. Handling is based on the type of spring (eg spring rate). Coilovers simply allow you to adjust the height thereby changing the handling properties. You can't really say that this is better handling than lowering springs. You can only say that it provides more flexibility.

Personally, I went for lowering springs
(1) because it is a HUGE hassle changing the height
(2) those rings get stuck
(3) I dont trust those thin aluminum sleeves
(4) REAL coilovers are not that much more if you are going to get dampers anyway

As for making the intake louder, it is pretty hard because the sound is basically the suction of the engine as it draws air through the filter. The only way to make it louder is to get more air flow through the filter... If you want loud, the best way is exhaust sound.. that can be loud as hell.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 PM

thanks guys i need some more help one day i was in my car with my dad and a suped up sunfire came near me he keep revving his engine my dad told me to get him so i raced him
the light turn green and we took off he beat me about 2-3 cars so i just had to follow him to his house i got out and ask him what you got under there he told me a 2.4 twim cam engine i/h/e new clutch pullies coilovers and wheels and tire. he told me he was only pushing 150 hp i said WHAT

Now my ? is what can i do to make my car that much hp i have rims tires i/h and coilovers
and d16y8 engine i need more parts don't really have alot of money i'm only want to make between 150-170 hp break evey thing down to me

Old 12-22-2004, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

it'd be easier and cheaper to do an engine swap. and hes full of it. the saturn 2.4 makes like 170 stock. but a swapped civic should smoke him. either that, or a turbo kit.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:02 PM

Here is a little advise. When racing make sure you don't have an extra weight in a car. For example lets say your dad weight about 170lb that is an extra weight for a little 4cylinder car to carry. For me I took out my spare tire and I got one sub that is sitting in my garage I decided not to install it because of an extra weight. Was that kid in sunfire by himself?

Old 12-22-2004, 11:08 PM

yea he was but i don't want to do a engine swap i can't just do little modds to just beat hime or somthing i don't have money like that

Old 12-22-2004, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

its possible, but it wont be much cheaper.

Quick Reply: Need help on more power