General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Need help Transforming this 1.5 civic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Default Need help Transforming this 1.5 civic!

I have a 95 civic 1.5 sohc non vtec- obd1
Mechanically inclinded, not good with electrical.

Reading up on these honda's, by the way, my first honda and ready to learn quick. Im looking to build a all-motor, mid 9's 1/8th mile daily driver on pump gas.
Now go vtec or not?

$1500 is what im working with.

b16a2:This engine looks good to me, but if i were to get it,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...%3A16%7C39%3A1

What else would i need to get everything to work properly,
1.will my tranmission bolt up to this motor, it is a 92-95 motor, and it looks like ill need different shafts,could be wrong?
2.They say wiring harness is included, should i buy the bullfrog ecu on ebay right now?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
3.Will my Spedo and dash work, dont care about the check engine lights, but knowing how fast i shouldnt be going is necessary, i did the whole GPS speed thing in my last ford probe mishap. I got lucky and got this car for 400 bucks with only the rear window blown out of it and a never replaced clutch with a motor with 240 thousand lol. btw, no rust, and im in NY.
4.Is the shift linkage different?

right heres what im upgrading without buying this motor:
1.stage 3 clutch with flywheel(needs a new clutch anyways)
2.lsd for transmission, if infact my tranny will bolt up to it.
3.ecu by bullfrog.

already bought:
1.bought the full stainless steel exhaust, left the header the same, until i know what head im going with.
2.4 strutbars and the
3.shortthrow
4.engine torque dampener

Need more........ as we all do, credit cards paid off and ready for another round. i got bad credit as do probably half or more of us car guys.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

ive never done a swap but i know you need an ECU, transmission, and axles
the ecu youre looking at is for a SOHC non vtec, youre looking at buying a DOHC VTEC engine so that ecu is a waste of money

Old 07-18-2009, 05:21 PM

You need to do research. I'll answer all of your questions, then I'll go from there. Sorry if it seems as if I am ranting...
1. Your tranny will NOT bolt up, you need a b series tranny.
2. They are referring to the engine wiring harness. They are not talking about the ECU wiring. Why would buy an ECU that specifically states it's for a D series when you are planning to go B series? I have never even heard of Bullfrog before.
3. Dash board should work without a problem...you're not changing the dash wiring.
4. Yes, you would need the b16's shift linkage.

You will also need engine mounts (EG to B series). You will not beable to swap in a b16a2 into your Civic with $1500 if the motor alone (not including tranny) is $1200. (all prices are rounded/semi-guessed)

B16a2 (the one you linked us) - $1200
Mounts - ~$300+
Shift linkage - ~$100 (guessing)
Good b series tranny - ~$400.(LSD???? Add at least another $200 or so)
Stage 3 Clutch - ~$400
Lightened (upgraded) flywheel - $200
ECU (just a stock b16 ecu so that you can simply run the vehicle) - ~$90
Timing belt/water pump/tensionor (all things that should be replaced) + install - ~$600 (about $150 if you are installing)

I am assuming you are installing it yourself? If not, there's no way you can afford it on a $1500 budget. If you are installing yourself, do you have an engine hoist? You can't just lift a motor out.

Originally Posted by robsroom169
already bought:
1.bought the full stainless steel exhaust, left the header the same, until i know what head im going with.
2.4 strutbars and the
3.shortthrow
Why would you waste the money on this stuff when none of it advances you towards getting that b series in the car?

Originally Posted by robsroom169
3.Will my Spedo and dash work, dont care about the check engine lights, but knowing how fast i shouldnt be going is necessary
You got it kinda backwards, you should care about CEL's. That's retarded to spend all this money on a motor swap and basically throw it out the window if something happens to the motor just because you chose to ignore a CEL.

IMO (and some others on the site), b16a2 is overrated. That ebay auction states 170hp (that's at the crank, not the wheels - btw, I would guess about 145-150 or so would actually make it to the wheels), but what about torque??? That's right, the b16a2 is nicknamed the torque-less wonder for a reason.

My suggestion.... hang out on forums, RESEARCH (this swap has been done countless times), check your local craigslist and find someone with a better deal...maybe one that includes a tranny so you don't have to worry about it as much.

Just take a step back, realize how much this will cost you in parts/labor.... then add an extra $500 (little things do add up quickly). Also, stop thinking about how fast your car would be in the 1/8's, no one cares about 1/8's, 60 foot times/speed and 1/4's times/trap speed is where it is at.

Hope this was helpful, welcome to HCF, and I hope you don't think I'm a d!ck, I'm just trying to help. I'm sure others will chime in with other things you need that I forgot to mention.

/one of my longest posts ever

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-18-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

cvc bravo lol that was a beast post, something id expect from reaper or trust haha Welcome to the site man. Research since you obviously dont know what your doing so far...

Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 PM

+1 on the research suggestion. Welcome to HCF, you'll learn a lot from the members on this forum, and remember don't rice out your civic.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
If you are installing yourself, do you have an engine hoist? You can't just lift a motor out.
You can lower it out the bottom of the engine bay, another option. All you need is a jack that goes up high, jack stands, and a dolley.

And no, that's not a B16A2, it's just a B16A. There is a difference (this difference benefits you a litttttttle bit).

Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well said, cv. When I can't think of that much to add, you know you did a good job explaining

Fun fact for the day: The JDM B16A creates literally as much torque as the USDM D16Y8 (111ft*lbs).

Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
And no, that's not a B16A2, it's just a B16A. There is a difference (this difference benefits you a litttttttle bit).
Damn. I don't know why I didn't see that. I guess my mind automatically thought b16a2 instead of just the b16a.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Damn. I don't know why I didn't see that. I guess my mind automatically thought b16a2 instead of just the b16a.
You probably said B16A2 because for some reason the OP said it was a B16A2 in his post.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Default ok change of path... what are the weaknesses of the d16?

I gained that all parts are crazy cheap for this car. Looking for weaknesses, stress points, under boost!

I want to know who blew this car up and what blew first.
after talking to a guy that recieved one of them jdm motors, he recieved 1 with all the bearings dry and he thinks it was probably sitting on a shelf ready for shipping for like 5 years lol. I dont think im going to go that way.

I Know the motors reliable but weaks point are my key,
Starting at the weaknesses like the rods, crank,top end......
Im going to start looking for hp ratings on each of the parts of the motor.

Parts i already have from old cars ive done are that safc controller. Anybody done this before?

Quick Reply: Need help Transforming this 1.5 civic!