General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New car salespersons: A rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Default New car salespersons: A rant

I'm not a fan of dealing with new-car salespersons
(or "sales consultants," what-ev-er).

Why? Sure, I know their job is just to put a body (yours) into a new car, and hopefully (for them) via the financing route. However, their lack of product knowledge ought to embarass them, and their general mangers. Sure, I know a lot of people are not detail oriented, so many consumers are easy for salepersons to deal with in that regard. However, if you happen to do some homework (on the Internet) prior to visiting the dealership, you may be, as I am always, simply amazed at how ingnorant they can be about the products they sell on behalf of Honda.

My most recent experiences, from a few different dealerships in Connecticut:

Me: Q. Is the windshield rake (angle) the same on the '06 coupe and the '06 sedan.
Salesblob: A. Yes
The correct answer: They are different: 2 degrees lower in the coupe.

Me: Q. Do the '06 Civics still have timing belts that need to be changed at 90,000 miles?
Salesblob: A. I don't know.
The best answer: No, the '06 Civics have timing chains.

Me: Q. Is the coupe the same "up front" (dash, seats, armrests) as the sedan.
Salesblob: A. Yes.
The correct answer: No, there are several differences (aux. input jack, armrests are different, seats are different, etc.)

And so on. Yes, I know, with so many different Hondas they sell, this is "detail" stuff, but that's what they do for a living! Com'on: While you're sitting around the showroom during the next snowstorm (or spectacular day) and no customers are milling about, do some homework!! Read the brochures, sit in the cars, look around them, know them. Or, just continue as you are, and wonder why your jobs get eliminated when we all purchase our new cars on line.

If I did my job with the same lack of knowledge, I'd be:
a) fired, or b) too stupid to be embarrassed, I guess.

Dolts!

Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Default RE: New car salespersons: A rant

i feel you on that one. i'm in sales myself, cellphones to be exact. so i have to know the products that i sell. inside and out.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM

it is amazing how ignorant the salespeople are. when i went and looked at a new civic coupe, they were just trying to sell me a car when i really only wanted to look. she started talking about down payments and stuff, i got up and left.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

who do you work for? i work for verizon.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I dealt with the same thing when I went to by my new Si. She even argued with me whether or not the car came standard with the spoiler or not.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM

i'm actually a 3rd party rep, i sell verizon, t-mobile and sprint. i use to work for verizon but i got fired for slamming data. but now i'm manager at my job so i'm happy.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

how do you slam data?

Old 03-17-2006, 02:30 PM

I would assume that he merely told someone the truth about Verizon data services and how much they typically suck... gotta love fine print!

Old 03-17-2006, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Anyone remember that one salesperson that said that the Helical LSD allows you to shift gears without the clutch on the 06 SI? Or my friend who drove an 06 SI A/T at the dealer? It sounds like salespeople are pretty stupid. But when i was at the autoshow i talked to a guy from Chrysler about the 300C and he actually sounded like he knew alot about the car. He had an answer for all my questions and the answers weren't that crap that it seems the other salesman feed you. I dunno how a salesperson can sell a car that they don't know anything about.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

the same way i make sales at work...lie....

Quick Reply: New car salespersons: A rant