General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New to this whole "IMPORT" thing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Default New to this whole "IMPORT" thing

So im a classic muscle car guy that has always been curious about the "ricer" thing. I started hanging with my now good friends who drive acuras and vw's and such and this opportunity popped up to buy a 90 civic(with a 1.5) and a b18a1 w/ trans for CHEAP,I buying it and want to go through with the turbo b18 swap, and i could use a little info, so im here to get the scoop on what can i do to make that litte hatch move?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Default RE: New to this whole "IMPORT" thing

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Add some suspension components, and do a rear brake conversion. You wanna be able to stop that lil hatch when needed.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

First of all, please don't refer to our scene as "ricer". Thats NOT what we are about.

With that said, there are a million things you can do to that ride, and it sounds liek you're starting out on the right track. Like Ngo said, suspension, plus brake upgrade, strut bars, etc. Make the car as nimble as possible, so that when you throw in a ton of horsepower, the car will handle it well.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Beebz

So im a classic muscle car guy that has always been curious about the "ricer" thing.
hahahaha[sm=icon_rofl.gif]im glad we are knowen as the "ricer" thing

Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM

I agree. Save the derogatory s**t for all the kids driving Cavaliers with VTEC stickers and bubble tint.

But anyway, I think you're on the right track. A turbo LS motor in a sub-2000 lb. car will move like you won't believe (as long as you can control the power). The stock 4G hatch suspension is remarkably tight and low compared to other Civics, so you could hold off on that at least until you get the motor installed and running.

Brakes are a good idea, however. A rear disc swap from a '90-'93 Integra (including rotors, calipers, control arms, and e-brake lines) will bolt right on. It's generally a good idea to get the brake booster and master cylinder as well. And if you need even more braking power, you can do a front rotor swap from a 93-96 Prelude (redrilled, of course) with 91-94 Accord Wagon calipers and 4G EX knuckles and hubs.

Good luck on your project, and welcome to the real world.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to HCF!

Old 10-11-2005, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

I agree. Save the derogatory s**t for all the kids driving Cavaliers with VTEC stickers and bubble tint.
Why don't you save the derogatory remarkes about domestics. Not like you don't see a 93 DX with DOHC VTEC stickers driving around. My personal favorite is the civic 4 door in my complex with an SiR sticker

Old 10-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: bobbytonic

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Why don't you save the derogatory remarkes about domestics. Not like you don't see a 93 DX with DOHC VTEC stickers driving around. My personal favorite is the civic 4 door in my complex with an SiR sticker
Why do you insist on jumping at every oppurtunity to start an arguement? It was a generalization, jesus...

Old 10-11-2005, 02:36 PM

hahahaha im glad we are knowen as the "ricer" thing
Are you trying to debate the fact that 90% of all honda-owners arent ricers?
Why do you insist on jumping at every oppurtunity to start an arguement? It was a generalization, jesus...
He probably just read some of the pages of **** we give mustangs. I have not once seen you guys give props to a v8 for anything, or any v8 driver.
Why dont you guys leave bobbytonic alone? Or at least be a little gentler in introducing him to the import-scene. Jeeze, anytime someone comes on here who has anything to do with a v8 engine you guys jump on their ***. He was probably making a joke about the ricer thing, or he simply didnt know any better. Some of you need to wake up and realize that the civic is not a good or easy platform for performance. It boggles my mind why you guys think "smoking a v8" with a turbocharged 4 is some great achievement. Whoopty-damn-doo, now lets turbo the mustang and see who wins? There I said it. /rant
Bobbytonic - You really shouldnt generalize like that though, even if it was a joke. A lot of serious honda-tuners are 100% fed up with the bull**** we get from the other 99% of kids, ricer, and civic-humpers. So you can expect a lot of people to jump on you like that. Im sure you can understand. There is no rice on this forum as of now, just clean cars and people who are interested in tuning their civic. Most of us are focused on auto-x and general tuning. I am focused on drag-racing within my FWD class, and for just all around fun.
Either way, welcome to HCF, dont take things to personally, and hope you learn something =)

Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

how bout we all just be thankfull we have cars, theres some kids in africa that dont ever get to drive.

Quick Reply: New to this whole "IMPORT" thing