General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

NEWBIE ON THE BLOCK

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 PM
HCF Member
Default NEWBIE ON THE BLOCK

Ok im new in the block ... i have a 99 civic ex and I already started some modifications already.
I installed a generic short ram just to get the feel of it and now planning to install NGK plugs and wires,
grounding kit, and just recently purchased a full Megan exhaust...Now my question is, will it help at least
horsepowerwise if I install a SKUNK2 intake manifold and throttle body??? Any suggestions with this
issue?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEWBIE ON THE BLOCK

I would go edelbrock over skunk2 for the intake manifold I've heard mixed things about the skunk2 intake mani. But yea you def would notice a difference nothing huge powerwise. just got to make sure that the intake manifold and the throttlebody have the same diameter hole. Or else you will lose power instead of gain.

For the amount of money those products will cost you, youminus well save up for a turbo kit. That will give the d16y8 more power in the long run.

Don't forget to research on here you will find most of the info you need.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

Thats a good advise thanks for the quick reply....I will keep that in mind but you know what? I might have forgotten
to post that I only have a 99 civic ex sohc type engine? Im not looking to power up the car like other guys have. Im just looking
to add a bit of power on it. Do you have any suggestion??? A friend of mine told me that it would be perfect if I can do an
engine swap... I know it would be great...But for now this is my direction, just to fix up this 99 civic ex sohc....any tips??

Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

A nice short shifter (B&M, skunk2 etc) and a header like dc-sports or megan racing would help make that car funner to drive. Also upgradeing the suspension will make you car even funner to drivearound turns and stuff. Front and rear strut bars are cheap and easy mods, one of the only products worth getting on ebay IMO. Name brands way overcharge.

But check out the suspension section for more info and the header, intake, exhaust... oh hell check them all out

Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: zoom24

Ok im new in the block ... i have a 99 civic ex and I already started some modifications already.
I installed a generic short ram just to get the feel of it and now planning to install NGK plugs and wires,
grounding kit, and just recently purchased a full Megan exhaust...Now my question is, will it help at least
horsepowerwise if I install a SKUNK2 intake manifold and throttle body??? Any suggestions with this
issue?
I'm big on retaining stock mileage, so I don't go the big-power route for performance gains. If you haven't done a header and a flow-thru cat, you'll probably notice more HP gain from those. You may actually even improve your MPG a little.

Then I'd work on the suspension and tires, if you're not cornering at over a g yet. Add some adjustable anti-swaybars, lower H-braces, a front upper 3-pt strutbrace, a rear upper strutbrace, and some UHP 205/45-16s on lightweight wheels like Rotas.

A short-throw shifter will quicken your shifts a bit too. Also consider a performance clutch, and possibly an LSD.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

nice talk i appreciate the reply, yah im heading that direction with the headers. but i dont think i would pass the state inspection if i install a high flow cat. and also thank you for the tips regarding the strut... suspension im fine i dropped the car i think 2 inches and im looking in purchasing some wheels too.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

hey live 4 it did you got the valve cover painted or powder coat? coz its nice...and also i like the strut bars...is it hard to install them? coz im planning to install one on mine.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
HCF Member

here is a before the Dc Sportsheader went it

After......

Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Administrator

strut bars are a sinch. and improve handling pretty well for how simple they are.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

are they hard to install? what are the process are far as installation???? coz im planning to get them (rear and front).

Quick Reply: NEWBIE ON THE BLOCK