General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Not a Typical Short Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Not a Typical Short Shifter Question

Alright, so I am getting tired of the height of my eBay short shifter, and I want to get a quality name brand shifter for piece of mind, but I also want it to be shorter (in terms of how far it sticks out above the console)
I drive a Del Sol, and the console is pretty high up compared to a civic, and the seats are lower, so I don't need such a high shifter, and in fact, the tall shifter is hella annoying.
I know the difference between single bend and dual bend in terms of where it places the ****. Which leads me to my question...

Is the skunk2 short shifter physically shorter than stock, in terms of how high it sits above the console, and which one is shorter in those same terms, skunk2 single bend or skunk2 dual bend?

BTW, I searched but did not find a clear answer to my question.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-01-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

I don't know about skunk2 but I definitely know that the B&M in my civic is significantly shorter than stock, not sure of if it would be different in a del sol but I'm pretty sure its the same exact shifter. I have a dual bend by the way which I think is shorter than single bend, or thats what I was told anyway when I was buying it

Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

I recommend B&M as well, they may even have an adjustable height shifter you can purchase.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM

nah i don't think i trust a shifter that's height adjustable, seems like it would be more likely to break.

c3o5nnect: do you have a B&M dual bend shifter? if so, can you take a picture for me so i can see how high it is. also, could you measure the distance from the top of the console area around the shift boot to the top of the shift ****? (perpendicular to the console)

anyway, does anyone know how much the skunk2 dual bend shifter sticks out above the console? if someone has one please measure it

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

I don't have a del sol but I can measure it on my EK and get you the height if you want. And if you look in my album you will see a pic of my B&M, the shift **** makes it look taller tho cuz its big, just let me know and i'll take a pic with my replica type-r one instead

Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

why not modify your ebay shifter
a vis bench, some rubber like a floor matt just wrap it around the shifter and put it in the vis bench and just clamp the sucker down tight.... cut that sucker down to how you want it and either thread the shifter rod and screw your shift **** on or just grind the end down alittle and more on one side to square it off alittle, then slide your shift **** over it and some simple tape around the rod and **** and some epoxy insid ehte shift **** and push it into place to lock the shift **** inplace the most you can tho geting it perfectly straight will be harder to do so remount it on the car and then glue that sucker in place.

at least thats what i plan on doing to my new shifter.... all depends how easy it is to thread the shift rod first....

Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by C-lo
I don't have a del sol but I can measure it on my EK and get you the height if you want. And if you look in my album you will see a pic of my B&M, the shift **** makes it look taller tho cuz its big, just let me know and i'll take a pic with my replica type-r one instead
yea, that'd be great, thanks

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
why not modify your ebay shifter
a vis bench, some rubber like a floor matt just wrap it around the shifter and put it in the vis bench and just clamp the sucker down tight.... cut that sucker down to how you want it and either thread the shifter rod and screw your shift **** on or just grind the end down alittle and more on one side to square it off alittle, then slide your shift **** over it and some simple tape around the rod and **** and some epoxy insid ehte shift **** and push it into place to lock the shift **** inplace the most you can tho geting it perfectly straight will be harder to do so remount it on the car and then glue that sucker in place.

at least thats what i plan on doing to my new shifter.... all depends how easy it is to thread the shift rod first....
yea, i considered it, but i figure i would like a double bend shifter and i want to get something with good quality