General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

odometer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Default odometer trouble

hi guys, so i got me a civic, its a 96 esi cvt with an automatic trans. since i got it like 5 weeks ago the odometer has stopped working. can somone help with this and maybe explain how to fix it....

for those of you who dont know lol... the odometer it the gadget that tells you your total mileage.

what i know so far is that the sender/sensor supposedly goes into the gear box and it is easily replaced... and well thats it really, pics, diagrams etc.. would be a huge help if someone can elaborate a bit mor on this.

thanks guys.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 AM

If the speedo works then the VSS is fine, and the problem lies in the actual gauge cluster

Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 AM
HCF Member

If the rest of the Instrument Cluster works it could be one of two problems. It could either be a short/open in the wire I believe is on Plug B (look online here http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=97738 for the layout) Check that wire to see if it is damaged in any way. If there is no problem with the wires then its the Cluster itself and you may need to get a replacement.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 AM

thanks for the fast response guys ill take a look at that later...

@1995civicexbmf, that link is awesome, although i cant find the pin for the odometer on the diagram.. any comment on which one it might be, also if lets say the guage is screwed. if i replace it is there any way to set the odometer so it still shows the origional mileage of my car?

alsoi have noticed there is no pin for my ABS light on the linked page , the 96 -00 diagram seems to not have the ABS and none of them seem to have the odometer, just the techometer.

my knowlege is the tachometer is the rev counter if im not mistaken...

Last edited by blulite`; 10-18-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The speedometer and odometer work from the same signal and power. If the speedometer shows your speed properly, but the odometer doesn't count up miles, the speedometer/ odometer unit in the cluster is bad. It's one piece that does both.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM

thanks for your help guys but i managed to fix it. i think it was just jammed or something, i took out the cluster and opened it all up to see if i could see anything. i turned the odometer forward a couple of miles and hey presto once it was all back together and re-fitted the odometer was working again so thanks for your fast responses and suggestions... im happy now. yey...go me lol...ok so onto the next problem

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM
HCF Member

Glad it was something simple. I know it sucks to find out something on the cluster isnt workin right. Just fixed a tachometer problem myself this past week

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM

for a second after i fixed the odometer i actually thought my tachometer wasnt working...lol...but i droppd it into sports mode and that solved that problem lol. seems it wasnt moving because i was cruising at like 2000rpm econo style lol

Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

if all else fails my friend, junkyard>find a gauge cluster>adjust the odometer to your car milage>install and your set.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 AM

ALL FIXED NOW..... YEY!!!!!!!

oops caps lol....

Quick Reply: odometer trouble