General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Picked up a 97' Civic, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Default Picked up a 97' Civic, now what??

I'mnew here, and have learned a lot already from you guys. Thanks for the info.!!! Three weeks ago I bought my son his first car - a 1997 Civic Ex Coupe. He doesn't know he is getting it this weekend. The headlights were crazed and foggedso they have been replaced.....A minor trunk leak has been fixed. What now? I'm trying to determine if it has the V-Tec or not? The VIN number indicates it does, but the code shows up for 3 and 4 door models - this one is a2 door. Are there any issues we need to look out for??

I drive a Yukon XL Denali, and on the weekends recently I have been sneaking the Civic out of hiding for "test drives". Damn!!! its a fun car to drive!!!!I would like to get more power out of it though-I 'm sure we will be working on that in the coming weeks. Speaking of that, any tips on header/cat back systems that add power but are not too loud?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Picked up a 97' Civic, now what??

As far as the VIN number I can't help you out there but as far as the rest of the car maybe I can be of some help. First, how much are you looking to spend?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM

On the performance end? I have no idea what this stuff runs. I'd like to keep it under $1000, but I know my son doesn't want the "ricer" look or sound. If we can do some bolt on's that won't make it sound like a lawnmower at high rev. (no offence intended) that would be great. He has a friend with a Ford Focus that sounds great - I would never have believed it, but its not too loud - yet sounds "powerful". Don't know if that makes sense or not. The last time I did Perf. work on a car it was on an 84' Mustang GT. I've been out of the loop for a while.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

as long as its an American EX, you should have VTEC (you're engine is a D16y8, you'll prolyl need that in the future )

and as for intake/exhasut/header, read the stickies at the top of the intake/header/exhaust section, theres loads of info about that kinda stuff

and welcome to HCF

Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 PM

I have a skunk 2 cat back exhaust and it has nice deep sound to it. stay away from just mufflers thats what will give u the weed wacker effect..

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

I will say from what i know that you need to look out for the "fart can" your headed in the right direction with the cat back but a lot of your import tuner brands are a good place to start. Apexi, greddy, etc.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
HCF Member

^ +1 on staying away from mufflers, go catback or nothing at all. RSR makes an aweomse sounding catback, the RSR ExMag. Megan makes quality headers, and AEM makes aweomse intakes, although its fairly common to just get an ebay intake and then just get a nice K&N or AEM Dryflow filter on it. Because honestly, unless its the Comptech Icebox or the AEM V2, a pipe is just a pipe

intake info: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_335102/tm.htm

exhuast info: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_425424/tm.htm

catalytic converter info: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_279591/tm.htm

general I/H/E info: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_217750/tm.htm

Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info Flip....I've been watching the thread on the De-Ricing of yours. --- Looking much better!!! Your right on the code, the VIN says its a D16y8 - but the manual I have says thats only for 3-4 door models. It kinda threw me since its a 2 door. I'll read the stickies and see what I can find.

Thanks for the heads up absoulute and 01civicsed.....Lots of reasearch to do. As I mentioned before - I'm out of the loop on these. Its been a while, but damn, I'm diggin it. There is just so much out there....

Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

^ thanks Tint, i'm glad to get rid of the rice haha i think boost is coming next

speaking of turbo kits, have you ever considered that? Its alot of time/research/money, but its your best bang for your buck honestly, but it is alot of work and you need to know what you're doing or else you can screw your car up pretty bad.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM

LOL!!! He doesn't even have it yet and we are talking boost!!! Right now I'm sticking to a cat back, wheels/tires and maybe an inch or two lower. Damn.....This thing really is fun to drive. Fortunately he is areally good kid......Sheeeot!! This is going to get expensive. I can already see the writing on the walls..........(I want boost now) [:@]

Quick Reply: Picked up a 97' Civic, now what??