General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Plans for my Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Plans for my Civic EX

So I'm graduating college in about 3 months and I have a nice job lined up as a software developer, which means I will have money and time. I've been working on and driving Civics for about 11 yearsand I have some ideas I want to run past you guys for a project I have been planning for a long time...

I want to keep it legal, and I want to keep it comfortable as it will still serve as a daily driver. I also like the "sleeper" concept, and I'm not so much on the Bling factor. Keeping this in mind...

Model/Trim:
1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe EJ8 Black
5 Speed Manual

Engine/Drive train:
Swap in a B18C or B18C5 OBDII - Complete swap ecu, trans, block, everything...
New Pistons, Rods, Rings, & Head gasket (if needed)
Stage 1 Clutch
Lightweight Flywheel
Adjustable Cam Gears
Plug Wires
Performance Radiator
AEM Ram Intake
4-1 Exhaust Manifold
High Flow Cat (Not sure if I can get away with this in California)

Suspension/Braking:
Drop the car 1.5"-1.8" with Tein S-Tech Springs & Tein Shocks
Convert the rear brakes from drum to disk
Drilled disks all around
16" Rims but haven't decided on which

Interior/Exterior:
Short Throw Shifter
A set of gauges
Clean up the dents and a new paint job
A set of GSR Seats
Halo Projectors with a HID kit

I'm stuck on the fence between boosting it or keeping it NA... If I decide to boost it will need a lot more internals for the engine. But starting off these are the changes that I was thinking of doing.

I have never done anything like this before, so I am putting faith in you guys cause I know you have So if you have suggestions on brands of parts to use, mods that I should consider, experience with a similar setup, or simply suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your comments and inputs.

Thanks!

Note: In terms of brands/parts I've been reading these forums and most of what I need to know is here already...

Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Plans for my Civic EX

sounds good so far, but I saw one thing I want to point out: you have "adjustable cam gears" listed as a mod, but no aftermarket camshafts. Really, the only thing adjustable gears on stock cams are good for is bling. Either forget about the gears or get aftermarket cams. But make sure you decide if you're boosting or not before you get new cams... turbo-grind cams are different than all-motor grinds. Also, from what I've heard, most stage I cams are a waste of money... but stage II or higher cams usually require aftermarket valvetrains. Other than that, things look good. (check into exhausts, though... I'm sure you can find a relatively quiet 50-state legal exhaust)

Also, you really don't need to build the bottom end to boost... but if you plan on pushing a rediculous amount of power, it's a good idea. But if you just want something a little more fun to drive, you should be fine with stock internals.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

Thanks man. I know the to-boost or not-to-boost question determines many things. I don't want waste money on things I will be replacing. I will have to decide on this in the next 3 months.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 AM
HCF Member

I'm not a coupe fan, but a 5spd '99 EX sounds like a nice platform to start with for a comfortable commuter and sleeper.

Get a decent alarm if you don't have one already. Make sure you have full-coverage insurance when you start the build, and make sure the policy will cover your planned upgrades.

I'd add an LSD to the tranny.

I'd also take a different approach to the suspension and brakes...Adjustable coilovers and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, instead of lowering springs and drilled rotors. Then I'd add adjustable anti-swaybars, a 3pt front upper strut bar, lower H-braces, and a rear upper tie-bar.

I'd plan on boosting whatever motor you go with, even if just mildly. Naturally-aspirated motors lose power if you travel at high altitudes. Forced-air retains it much better.

16s sound about right for rims, with 205/45-16 UHP tires. Make sure the rims are at least as light as Rota Slips. If you see snow, keep the stock rims for mounting some Blizzaks in the winter.

How about some amber foglights below the bumper and some driving lights above it? You could even get some combi fog/driving lights to mount below the bumper. Get an Optima deepcycle/starting battery and a hi-po alternator to power stuff like this.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

If you're going to boost, I'd go with an LS/VTEC swap instead.

Also, if you're trying to make a nice, comfortable, sporty car, get a real suspension setup. S-Techs are crap

Also, Slotted rotors rather than drilled is a better idea. Get some nice discs and Hawk pads, should be golden

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

Few things

first off, looks like you've got a good plan going Forty's right though, you could find some a better shock/spring setup than S-Techs. S-Techs are designed for use with stock shocks, or you could go with some coilovers to get the perfect drop for you.

Also if you're in Cali, a Magnaflow or Randomtech high-flow cat are a few of the only ones that stay emissions legal, but IMO the gains of high flow cat are not worth the price and i'd prolly leave it stock if i was you

Alon with your short shifter, i'd prolly get some polyurtehane shift bushings. It'll make an awesome difference, and they're very cheap and VERY easy to install while you're down there

and if you're keeping it N/A, i'd prolly go with an H22a swap (not very good for boost, awesome for just bolt ons), but if you're boosting i'm not really sure....i've heard that the reliabilty of an LS/VTEC can be questionable at times, so idk really waht to recommend.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Reliability is not the problem, it's the idiots that don't tune them correctly

Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Reliability is not the problem, it's the idiots that don't tune them correctly
haha agreed. If done properly, it's a sick engine for sure, but looking around on forums online alot of people mention the reliability, but if you have the knolwedge to do it right you won't be disappointed.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

if your going to boost you will need biger than a stage 1 clucth

Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
HCF Member

You guys are awesome. I've read about LS/VTEC swaps, and I was under the impression that in order to do one properly the bottom end needs to be built up to withstand the high revving VTEC head. I was already planning to do this with any swap I put in there so why not build it for forced induction? The B18B has a longer stroke then the B18C, which wasn't designed for high rpm or forced induction. So appropriate rods, pistons, and rings will need to be installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The nice thing about a B18B is their cheap and easy to find.

Right now I am leaning toward a boost, I've always been tip toeing around the high cost of correctly building a force induction engine, but I don't think cost will be a problem after I graduate. That being said my list of part will be adjusted. I basically have a spread sheet of two builds one is boosted the other is not. If I go boosted I will probably keep it between 6-10 psi, and naturally a stage 2 or 3 clutch + stage 2 or 3 axles will be appropriate.

Suspension is definitely my weak point. It is something I've had the least experience with. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration.

Thanks for your help guys keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Plans for my Civic EX