General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

The tirewear is likely due to toe. Camber angle will not make the tires tear very quickly, and will not cause a smell.
I'm naturally guessing the burning smell is of rubber?

As for your sound, get under the car and look. Seriously. Check everything you can. Does the car bounce around with the thump sound?

*edit*
Oh hell, your showing that kind of metal? Get new tires, now. Your fixing to have a real bad day. Tires that gone tend to just blow. If blown at speed can cause a major loss of control and damage to your rims. Getting an alignment should only cost around $60. I'm betting the thump thump sound is due to your tires. The sound increases with your speed right?

Last edited by PunisherInOKC; 05-17-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 PM

You need an alignment and the tires replaced. You definitely have some toe problems. You may need to have a tie rod replaced or something... the shop you take it to will tell you when they go to give it an alignment if anything is wrong.

That tire wear either could be from the toe, or it could even be rubbing against the wheelwell. Do your tires rub?

If you have coilovers I would seriously consider raising them up a little bit.

Also, it sounds silly, but go check your lug nuts and make sure they are tightened down.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-17-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That tire is shot. It has probably developed a bulge on one side because it is about to blow. Since it is no longer round, you get a once around thump. Do not drive on that tire any more. The steel belts hold a tire together. When they wear through, the tire has no structural integrity.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by chrismag
whats a tie rod? i know its a dumb question
The tie rod is basically what transfers the motion of you turning the steering wheel, to the wheels of the car, allowing them to turn. If your tires are toed in that badly, and the alignment is that far out of whack, that's most likely the problem. Its actually not too hard to fix(ish)/replace yourself, but if you can get a pro to do it, I'd recommend that. I've had some problems in the past getting pros to do it, mainly because I had an old crap truck, and they said they couldn't have the machine read it because it had bad ball joints.

If you have to do it yourself, remove both tie rods, get them to the specified length (it should say what length in a Haynes Manual or something), put them back on, replace the wheels, and see if you can get a long straight 2x4 or steel tube or something, and place it along the diameter of the back tire, making sure it touches both back and front side of the tire. Look at where the 2x4 touches the front tire, is it touching both the front and back of the tire like it is on the back? If it is, you've just got your alignment close enough for government work, if not, give that side's tie rod a half turn on the sleeve, and repeat until you see it touch both sides of both tires. It won't be perfect, but your tires will thank you.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 AM
HCF Member

That Vtec sticker on the side of the car told me there was some hardcore ghetto rigging on the ride, looks good on outside but some people make it look good and sell it, my friend does it all the time, throws a turbo, rims, ebay coilovers on a honda, leaves it untuned and ghetto'd up. and sells it off to someone for a better car, makes a living out of it. What is the car lowered on?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

I have no question that it is your toe.
How do the other tires look?

Quick Reply: please help!