General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

power.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
HCF Member
Default power.

alright i know this may have been asked before. i have read a few articles about making power in the D series.

my brothers civic has a D16y8 i believe (its a 95 civic 4 door 1.6L VTEC- ex model)

looking to bump up his power a bit for him for christmas present.

ideally i would like to put about 50 horsepower into the cars current motor, cheaply if possible.

currently, the motor is BONE STOCK.

plans for general modifying.... I/H/E new motor mounts
upgrade injectors - suggestions?
im thinking a mild cam may help out a bit. -suggestions?
65mm throttle body? im used to big cars, im trying to downsize. haha whats a good size throttle body and where is the best place to find one.
also going to port and polish the intake manifold

he doesnt want a boatload of power, and I would prefer to not go F/I at the moment because he is a rather new/young driver.
ideally i would like to put the 120horses on the dyno at the wheels.
from there we would probably start some mild weight removal.

for my brother i want his first car to turn out successful for him. he doesnt know much so big bro is trying to look out for him. haha

so re-cap

intake/exhaust/header
fuel injectors
bigger throttle body
port and polish
motor mounts

goal is 120whp and a nominal amount of torque
without forced induction if at all possible.

anything i overlooked. obviously weight reduction would be helpful also. he is probably looking somewhere near 30lbs per horse right now as the car sits (just a guess)- which is a LOT.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

intake, larger throttle body, high flow intake plenum, injectors, fpg, cams, header, high flow cat, exhaust, and a tune.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

what cams
what size injectors
any suggestions for brand? model?

thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

scratch the injectors and cams, i didn't read the whole first post where you wanted 120 whp. I would just get intake, header, high flow cat, exhaust, maybe larger throttle body and intake manifold, then tune on crome

Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 AM
HCF Member

Tuning will help a lot!!! Don't forget that part

Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

lets start with this. How much money are you looking to spend on this project?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 AM
HCF Member

If its a 95 EX is a D16z6 btw

Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

well first off that is very nice that you are looking out for your lil bro, i admire that...anyways for that current motor i would go with basic bolt ons like headers from dc,greddy, or kamikaze,apexi. throttle body from skunk2 68mm or swap in a b16 throttle body if you want to save money. Skunk2 manifold those are nice i use to have one when i had the dseries in my car it has nice long runners just like the type r manifold to produce high end power. I would also get a greddy or apexi exhaust those have very good rep in performance plus i own one of their systems. in regards to internals i dont think i would upgrade the cams or valvetrain but if you want i recommend Crower cams stage 2 and upgrad the valves, dual springs and retainers. im not sure if you really need to upgrade the injectors but you can get 310cc injectors and work off that. then tuning just chip your p28 ecu and run crome. listing all these items will add up quick in dollars.

Last edited by munkeewrench23; 12-19-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
If its a 95 EX is a D16z6 btw
thanks for that, i was unsure but i saw z8 somewhere along the way and tacked it on there.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by munkeewrench23
well first off that is very nice that you are looking out for your lil bro, i admire that...anyways for that current motor i would go with basic bolt ons like headers from dc,greddy, or kamikaze,apexi. throttle body from skunk2 68mm or swap in a b16 throttle body if you want to save money. Skunk2 manifold those are nice i use to have one when i had the dseries in my car it has nice long runners just like the type r manifold to produce high end power. I would also get a greddy or apexi exhaust those have very good rep in performance plus i own one of their systems. in regards to internals i dont think i would upgrade the cams or valvetrain but if you want i recommend Crower cams stage 2 and upgrad the valves, dual springs and retainers. im not sure if you really need to upgrade the injectors but you can get 310cc injectors and work off that. then tuning just chip your p28 ecu and run crome. listing all these items will add up quick in dollars.
that sounds like a nice set-up. more like pieces from my friend hondas which i could probably get from them slightly used...
as for exhaust/header/etc... are they interchangeable within motors (for example. could i use a header from a B series on the D series?) i know with most cars they are not interchangeable but honda is so new to me i have no clue yet. ill probably save the caming and internals for before he boosts, i know he will eventually probably just 4-8lbs for the effect more or less./ he is not much of a competitor, but im sure a little power would be nice to have when needed.
never heard of crower cams
i think i can get a set of 310cc injectors from a friend, though he has a B18 in his hatch, are they interchangeable?

sorry for all the questions.

money is not much of an issue, he will be helping out with part cost, installation will be myself and a friend. i would like to keep it under a grand ideally, but a little more isnt to bad. its not going to be all at the same time either. probably from now til july before this phase is complete.

Quick Reply: power.