General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Questions about shifting a manual...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Default Questions about shifting a manual...

i have had my 97 ex for about 3 weeks now and it is my first manual car.....I am getting good at getting out of 1st . But once i reach 2nd gear the car does that jumpy thing (i forgot what its called).... Does anyone have an idea of what it might be? is because im letting go of the clutch too early or too late? Any advice will be appreciated thanks....

Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Questions about shifting a manual...

You probably are shifting to early or letting the clutch out to fast. Either way ease into it more and make sure your RPMs stay high enough.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

just practice.

i can shift into second gear at 1,000 rpm and below with no jumpiness, because i've gotten used to knowing where the "friction" point where my car's clutch engages.

once you get a feel for where that friction point is, you'll be shifting smoothly. You've only been driving a manual for less than a month, so give it some time.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 PM

good point, im just a little embarrassed of people seein the car jump when i shift....oh well im just gonna keep practicing. Thanks guys for your help...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

practice in a school parking lot on the weekends. just stopping and going in and then into second gear.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

it took me a good 4 months to finally get decent at stick without jerking the car....

but try to let the clutch out the same time you depress the gas....
kindaa teeter tot method (is that what those things are called??)

but now i can shift like an automatic, so, no jerky motion, and i can drive super slow without jerking the car, and without going on and off the clutch

but practice makes perfect tho man

Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM

you know whats fun is when you shift really hard into second and make the wheels chirp...makes me feel like a bad ***.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

i stil jerk the car at times make sure you don't rev the engine to much before you let off the clutch to much i did that in my old car and there goes my clutch .. just even the peddles out like at the same time

Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

If you're jerking you're probably bringing the clutch out too fast or not smoothly enough.

Practice practice practice. Once you get good at the basics, get on a hill... go up some, then drift back. Teach yourself how to hold the clutch and eventually you'll be a badass like me.

Just remember not to get frustrated while youre practicing. Keep a positive attitude.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 PM

yea and dont panic a car is always going to have a little jerk to it but your letting out the clutch to fast and not giving it enough gas

Quick Reply: Questions about shifting a manual...