General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

quick responce please

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 PM

I think you can drive it for now but you'll certainly want the correct ECU

Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 PM

VTEC activation switches don't activate the VTEC fuel and timing maps of the ECU, all they do is activate the VTEC lobes on the camshaft. They are worthless.

Just did some thinking... Hook your engine wiring harness VTEC wire to the VTEC solenoid's green/yellow wire and you will have regular 2-stage VTEC. I am not sure if it will engage at the optimal RPM for the camshaft inside of the D15B but it will probably be close enough.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-16-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Haha I know there's people here who know more about it than I do

Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 PM

Y8 head will create crank - cam timing problems I believe because the Y8 head is made for a 1.6L block and the shorter deck height on the 1.5L will change the distance between the cam and the crank which also changes the cam timing. You don't want to get into that sh*t, trust me... i'm in it right now with my D15B head on Z6 block... waiting on a new cam gear to correct the problem.

I would just drive it set up like I said in my last post and if you ever come across the P2J ECU then buy it.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM

Oh yea, when you wire it up the way I said, once you start driving it make sure that when VTEC engages it feels like a smooth transition and there's no "kick". If it's a smooth transition then driving it like that should be just fine and if you want you could just not get the P2J ECU. But keep in mind that if you get the P2J ECU and wire the three-stage VTEC up your gas mileage should improve and you shouldn't lose any top end power. In fact, I think that the first stage (the stage that would be missing with the D16Y8 ECU) on the three-stage VTEC may actually help with low end power now that I have had time to think about it... kind of the same reason that a D16Y5 (HX engine) makes more power than the D16Y7.

Quick Reply: quick responce please