General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Reaper's restoration project (56k... take a break)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Reaper's restoration project

well your idea for the gauges COULD BE preaty cool....

and well i did see a realy cool shift light unit awhile back on ebay tho i forgot to save it.... it was a progressive led shift lights.... was very cool looking! like the higher your RPMs went the more leds would light up from like green to yellow then to red.
unfortunatly i cannt find the unit on ebay right now... it would like mount above the steering colum like a small arch style. looked realy cool sorry i cannt find it....
O SNAP.... found it. after all
http://cgi.ebay.com/Progressive-Tach...QQcmdZViewItem

with some soldering skills... you can make it fit into your cluster.... but i think i might just buy a manual cluster, just think of it this way.... you can buy the manual cluster... and then swap your automatic gauge part and then put it back on ebay for sale....

but what i plan on using for my shift light is a simple, cheap led shift light...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...spagenameZWDVW

then simply open up the unit and extend the wires into my cluster with a led in it.....
thats one thing i love about the DX cluster is it has a green UPSHIFT arrow indicator, BUT with a EX i think they use that control modual for cruise controls since they are different, BUT thats why i used the DX bezel and the green lense that goes behind it... so now i just have to remove the cluster and put a green light light behind it and that way it will look just like a DX shift light... but mine will be selectable from the units adjustable **** so thats kinda cool so i can set it as low as 3K for good milage or higher for more fun.
just a cool UPSHIFT light as well as a stock look

Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 AM

WOAH for the money they want to charge for the first one, i can make one of those, especially if your going to take it apart and integrate it into the cluster

addiction... where is the green upshift arrow in the DX cluster?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya it is kinda high but that is preaty cool.... tho i only see them coming from austrailia.... still preaty cool tho...

and the 92-95 civic DXs have a upshift light in another dumbie light location uptop on the right, thats a arrow pointing up with a green lense behind it in the cluster

tho i didnt take any pictures of it when i swaped my cluster parts out...
its preaty much the same setup as the VTEC LIGHT modification.... but mine will use the factory bezel and green lense..... now i just need to wire up a adjustable shift light to wire up a led in it....

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 AM

im gonna take a look i have never seen it

Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well i just went out and took some pictures of mine... tho its not lighted up yet tho.... it has spot for bulb BUT i got no clue if it has power already or not... i just know its not wired the same way as the DX cluster so i just kept the bulb out... and when i do get a add on shift light thing ill just custom wire up my own led ran to it and glued inplace....

only other honda ive seen with a upshift light is my old 84 CRX HF.... tho im not sure at what RPM the shift light came on...
id prefere my addon shift light unit to light up at 2.5K rpms but so far lowest ones ive seen only go to 3K but o well still a nice custom touch... IMO

Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM

yeh thats the only one i couldnt light up, but mine has not got a white line on it, unless u added it on paint or something. its a dark winters day here so i couldnt see what was there without lighting it up. my cluster is a litttle different to that one, its in km not mph for a start, and the gauge with the petrol and water temp hasnt got as many lights and doesnt say UNLEADED FUEL ONLY, and i havent got an SRS light.

but as for the LED thing you want to make, can you not tap into the rev wire into the back of the cluster and use a variable resistor to take it as low as you like?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

no idea.. id like to be able to wire up my own BUT i got no idea how.
and EXs dont have that... only DX clusters
this is the cluster i bought and swaped the bezel and green lense from...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 AM

check this out, bout half way down a guy makes his own tach, all u need to do is use one LED for the shift you want, you could even cram two leds into that space, use a switch, and have one led for casual driving, and one led for hard driving, both would be within the same space in the cluster

EDIT: would help if i gave you the link haha http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23727

Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

okay, i swaped my DX cluster for the tach off the EX/Si so does this mean no shift light for me? also, i have my damn srs light on and it's been there since i got the car last year in january (whoa! birthday of my car is on the 9th!) and yes anyways, i really want that damn srs light gone. any tips on how? and is there no way i can get a shift light?

reaper, your whole project just screams badass

Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well i think youd have to do a [partial swap with a aftermarket shift light wired like im planning on doing...
the part that goes to the cluster is different, and im not sure HOW its wired... i thought about geting a bunch of diodes to block any back flow/power BUT i dont think i can do it... so im just going aftermarket... and puting it into my ex cluster with DX bezel and green cover on the inside. it pops right out...

Quick Reply: Reaper's restoration project (56k... take a break)