General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Remove a/c??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Remove a/c??

I've replaced part after part, trying to get my a/c to work again. I've done everything except the compressor. A friend of mine had the same problem and wound up redoing the whole system like me. He put an aftermarket compressor in and said it was ok. After a little saving he decided it was better to put a factory compressor in, and it works so much better. I got a price on a factory one and it was like $500. I'm fed up with the a/c problems. I've gone 2 years now without a/c and am pretty used to it. Do you think it's worth it to just take my whole a/c out and sell the parts? Any idea how much of an increase in acceleration it will give me? If it matters, I have cai, full msd ignition (blaster coil, ignition control, wires, cap & rotor), and header-back exhaust. Thanks for your time!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Remove a/c??

Well, if there is only 1 more piece to fix the system, I would do it. I spent 800 to fix mine and I'm sooo glad I did. On those hot days I smile when I'm driving with my windows up and passing a car with the windows down and the other driver is sweating. I remember when that was me.

If you remove the A/C you'll reduce the weight of the car slightly but if you notice a difference, it'll probably be all in your head.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM

i got ac in my civic but tell ya the truth i rarely use it cause i like goin down the road in the summer w/ the windows down. if i was u i would tear it out

Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

i say tear it out and give it to me haha. I will buy it no joke. I miss my a/c. I was dumb and took mine out and sold it all. And well Couple months ago I just put in All new GSR Leather Seats..and ooo buddy i wish i had my a/c..HOT HOT summers and Leatherseats w/no a/c..just doesn't cut it. So if you'd like to sale what you have. besides the compressor..PLEASE PM me.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

I say cut it, I don't have and i don't think its a big deal. No A/C does help on gas milage btw

Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Watch mythbusters, apparently having windows down vs. windows up + A/C yield the same mpg.

Plus if you are worried about mpg, don't use the A/C and keep the windows up.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 PM

i have a flat black civic that the idiots at the shop i bought it from forgot to put the a/c back together, at one time i had high hopes for fixing it, but i drove it so long without it, well,lets just say last friday i got tired of it weighing me down and just ripped the whole system out, i can tell a difference, and my engine bay gets more air to it now.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

Better mpg is always good, butI'm looking more for performance. From the performance vs. comfort aspect, is the performance gained worth it or should I get it fixed? And what kind of difference am I looking at?1/10 second? 1/2 a second?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

Compressor is the highest priced thing on there, but its all up to you. Do you usually use the ac a lot? on the performance aspect it wont make too much of a difference.......on the other hand if you have it full blast and your trying to race, then your gonna feel the difference.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

I rarely use AC, partly due to short summers, partly cuz most of my driving is short trips around town, and partly cuz I can FEEL it draggin the engine when its on. I appreciate iti when I use it ,but I bet I turn it on a few days a month during summer, and afew days a month in winter (helps defog the windows faster, plus it keeps all the seals and internals of the AC happier)

Quick Reply: Remove a/c??