General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

the right way??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 AM

In words...sure. But being there in person we may find your problem, if there is one. What burns out clutches is when the fly wheel is spinning and the clutch is not all the way in or out. So basically anytime you are shifting you are using your friction material. What uses that material faster is when the fly wheel is spinning faster and/or you take a really long time engaging the clutch. So by keeping your rpms lower while the clutch is engaging will prolong the life of your clutch.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

Have you read this b4? http://www.edmunds.com/advice/youngd...0/article.html

these tips really helped me when i first was learning stick. i still can't get the smooth shifting yet (still jerks when going from stop to 1st hear to 2nd gear), but the tips on never ride your clutch and not using the clutch to break are really good saving your clutch in the long run

btw, on saving clutch driving, can anyone give some good tip on driving in parking lots and parking? I find myself always riding on clutch when driving at the low speed or I end up stalling.

Last edited by Capnx; 06-20-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by chrismag
okay okay what is rev matching? it talked about rev matching?
i have never done that.
Google.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

OK, I'l bite. You only way you will "burn through your clutch" is if you launch at high rpm. This happens because the clutch has to slip to get you moving from a stop. So if you launch at high rpm, you are causing much more slippage and thus much more wear on the clutch. As the man above my post said with his youtube video, as long you "rev match", it doesn't make any difference whether or not you shift at high or low rpm.

Bottom line: For minimize wear on the clutch, launch at relatively low rpm (I do it around 1000 rpm), and when shifting, REV MATCH.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 99lx
OK, I'l bite. You only way you will "burn through your clutch" is if you launch at high rpm. This happens because the clutch has to slip to get you moving from a stop. So if you launch at high rpm, you are causing much more slippage and thus much more wear on the clutch. As the man above my post said with his youtube video, as long you "rev match", it doesn't make any difference whether or not you shift at high or low rpm.

Bottom line: For minimize wear on the clutch, launch at relatively low rpm (I do it around 1000 rpm), and when shifting, REV MATCH.
is that downshifting or upshifting? I mean, when going from gear 1 to gear 2, can you shift at 1000rpm?

Quick Reply: the right way??