General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Road trip preperation?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 AM
HCF Member
Default Road trip preperation?

leaving for a 15 hour (950miles each way) road trip friday night and taking the 2000 civic with 81000 miles on her.

what type of things should i check before i leave.
already did these:
1. oil change
2. tire pressure check (getting wheels balanced and tires rotated on wednesday)
3. all lights work fine
4. fluids look good.

what else?

Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Default RE: Road trip preperation?

Maybe change the fuel filter for a little better gas mileage?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Long as you're up to date on other maintenance (timing belt, fluid changes, etc), you should be good to go. Inspect the belts and hoses under the hood. Might want to inspect the brakes while the wheels are off for balancing.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:40 AM

don't forget new wiper blades, top off all fluids, put together a small tool kit, emergency roadside kit

Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremy102579

leaving for a 15 hour (950miles each way) road trip friday night and taking the 2000 civic with 81000 miles on her.

what type of things should i check before i leave.
already did these:
1. oil change
2. tire pressure check (getting wheels balanced and tires rotated on wednesday)
3. all lights work fine
4. fluids look good.

what else?
Check belts, hoses, airfilter, plugs & wires, fuel filter, wiper blades, battery voltage, brake linings, any unusual noises, and tire-changing supplies/tools. Take a cellphone (w/car-charger), an atlas, and a roadside emergency kit. This last might include 1gal distilled water, powerbars, flares, crank/shake flashlight, blanket, painkillers, jumper cables, spare fuses, and basic tools. If you're going through remote areas, I'd even suggest extra fuel and a spare alternator belt.

I also check the oil level before starting the engine after every fuel-up on the trip. This allowsmost of the oil todrain back into the pan and lets me know if I'm burning or leaking oil before it becomes a serious problem. Then I do a visual inspection of the tires and under the hood.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

omg hes not going to have enough space to put any of his stuff in the car for hit trip. the extra alterantor is a little much dont u think.i mean theres is usually rest stops and stuff on the way were u can stop. but just get the quick stuff cheakes like the hoses and oil. im not telling you to not be prepaired but dont go getting a tune up either. remember u drive a honda ' there built ford tuff ' lol

Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dang i wouldnt use all of that unless your going out in the desert.LMFAO

just check all your fluids and tire pressure EXPETIALY your spare tires air and jack tools are all thier! and some junk food and candy for munchies and your ready to roll!!!!! and of course a cellphone just incase BUT now adays a cellphone is almost everywhere already.LOL

only reason i would ever carry anything more than that on a road trip is if it was winter.... it would be coats and blankets and some thing to eat.... or going thru a desert along way which would just be drinnks and food...

OR if i knew the car had its share of problems.... then id get some cables and such.
but if ya havent had any problems with the car just check the fluids and tire pressure and ya should be fine...

Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

big bag o' green. nuff said.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM

umm toilet paper. food and drinks.

if your car hasn't let you down for 81k, it porbably won't. just do you basica maintenace check ups and drive careful and you should be fine.

afterall it is a civic whcih is super reliable.

i would bring a set of tools tho, just a small amount. couple wrenches and sockets pliars etc. but for sure i would have a tire plug kit.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

get yourself one of those nice massagers from walmart and then take it back when you get back. lol works like charm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road trip preperation?