General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Rolling Back Odometer Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Default Rolling Back Odometer Mileage

Anyone know how to do this?

Speedometer crapped out so I had to buy a new cluster. It's about to be on its way here.

Anyway, it has 200k miles and I have 166k and i'm a little obsessive compulsive about this stuff being perfect.

How hard is it to do? If I roll it back manually do I have to do it mile by mile or just number by number? (as in one of the six numbers at a time)

Can I do it electronically or something by giving a certain wire 12V and another one a ground? (Basically whatever the reverse polarity would be of the stock VSS circuit... instead of giving the VSS wire 12V, giving the ground 12V and grounding the VSS wire)

Anyway, even if my theory is right or wrong, tell me what you know.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

unfortunately i dont think you can remove the numbers to turn them either way...

my advice is to keep looking for a lower milage cluster to swap it out.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
unfortunately i dont think you can remove the numbers to turn them either way...

my advice is to keep looking for a lower milage cluster to swap it out.
well, i already bought it

plus, del sol clusters aren't really as easy to obtain as the civic clusters so i have to take what i can get.

i know there's a way to change it, i see people on honda-tech selling clusters and some of them say that they can make it any mileage you want.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

it can be done (I dont know how) but it is illegal to do so, even though your only doing it to match your true milage of your vehicle.

Its a federal law that you are not allow to modify the milage of an odometer for ANY reason at all.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Banned

Take the leads to the odemeter you are gonna have to fing the two wires and reverse them and they will go the other way just keep those two wires hooked straight to the batt terminals for about 5 mins it is gonna go really fast cause there is no resistor to slow it but yeah you can go back and foward by just hookin those two to it. Classy huh....

Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 315 Customs
it can be done (I dont know how) but it is illegal to do so, even though your only doing it to match your true milage of your vehicle.

Its a federal law that you are not allow to modify the milage of an odometer for ANY reason at all.
I want to say you have to take your car to the dealer before you swap out the cluster so they can make note of the original miles. And in turn, I want to say if you can alter the 2nd cluster to match and show them before you do the swap it wouldn't be a problem

Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

i found this of someone doing some research on odometer rollback on whether its legal or illegal. http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1882730

i don't know if this would help but this one is done on an EF but i remember seeing my mileage thing and it looks similar to that, not sure on your sol. http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1881505

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

or just keep looking for a cluster with closer milage and then buy it and sell the one you have now.

BUT if you want to try to roll it back to match your car then i HIGHLY SUGGEST you experiment with your factory cluster first! just incase you break something.... those numbers are held in with some hard plastic and they can break.

my trucks cluster is very easy to roll back! i just bought a second cluster to light it up red. ive already matched its milage now i just need to buy the custom lights for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
i found this of someone doing some research on odometer rollback on whether its legal or illegal. http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1882730

i don't know if this would help but this one is done on an EF but i remember seeing my mileage thing and it looks similar to that, not sure on your sol. http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1881505
great find

Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM

thanks for all the info guys, i'm going to try that EF DIY.

and i don't care if it's illegal, no ones going to know and it's not like i don't have a good reason to do what i'm doing.

plus, my car is old enough to the point where it's mileage exempt. and we don't have inspection or anything.

And NOFX said "It IS NOT illegal to set a new cluster's odometer to match the mileage on the car it's goign into though." NOFX knows her ****, so that's probably the truth.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-11-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Rolling Back Odometer Mileage